Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   General Health Issues (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Nodules in lungs? (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=1710)

LynnI Sat Oct 16, 2010 09:49 AM

Nodules in lungs?

This past July I got a rather nasty pneumonia, it came on quickly and luckily responded to treatment just as fast. They did x-rays and a CT and then followed up with another x-ray 3 wks later. I now have to go for another CT because they saw Nodules in my lungs from the July CT. There is a chance that they were caused by the pneumonia and hopefully are now gone. There is another chance that it is caused by my Myelofibrosis, although rare that can happen.

Has anyone ever had Nodules from pneumonia that upon a follow up disappeared?
Has anyone ever had the Myelofibrosis leave the bone marrow and effect other organs or the lungs?

Thanks,
Lynn

Zoe's Life Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:19 PM

Lynn,

Sorry to hear you are going through this. I have a nodule on my right lung at the bottom. It has been there for almost a year now. They have done repeated CT scans to see if it changes any. So far it hasn't much. I have to decide if I want another CT scan or a PET scan next month. I have researched this immensely, because I was concerned also.

Here are some things I learned. First, it could very likely be from the pnemonia. It could be scar tissue (which doesn't go away, but neither is it worrisome). It could be some other type of leftover from the pnemonia which may go away. There are many types of nodules. I have learned that anything under 9mm is likely not worrisome. Larger, and it is possibly (read POSSIBLY, not probably) a problem unless it is over 2cm (then concern rises dramatically). Mine started at 8mm, and the last CT said 9-10mm and is considered borderline.

It also makes a difference whether it is calcified or not. Calcified is likely to not be a problem (although no guarentees). Sometimes they will start noncalcified and calcify over time (something that often happens after pnemonia or other lung infection). They can be partially calcified, and the pattern of this calcification vs. noncalcification is important in understanding how concerning it is. Mine is noncalcified which is a concern.

Questions I have learned need to be asked are: Is it a solitary nodule, or are there several? If more than one, what is the pattern? Is it calcified at all? If yes, what is the pattern for that? Fully calcified is good. Some partial calcification patterns are good, some not so good as indicaters of malignancy. How big is the nodule(s)? Where are they located? Are there other symptoms such as shortness of breath (can be anemia too), or coughing up stuff (particularly blood).

They will likely do a series of CT or PET scans over the course of 2 years (maybe not so long if it disappears). If they see something very concerning they will consider a biopsy and/or other tests. A lung biopsy is a very big deal. No one is talking about that for me, I am hoping next month will be the same, particularly since the location of mine would make biopsy very difficult.

See if you can get some of the above questions answered. If you are interested I can share some of the websites I learned my info from. I am not in the medical field, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I am still learning all of this. Hopefully by next November (my 2 year mark), this will all be behind me.

I don't have fibrosis in my marrow, so I don't know how that might affect things. It may be a process that takes time to figure out what is going on. Don't let it eat at you. There are so many benign causes of lung nodules, in fact, many more are benign than mallignant. My guess is it is related to the pnemonia.

Zoe

LynnI Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:37 PM

Thanks Zoe, that is a lot of info. I have been reading too, but I don't remember how big they are only that there is more than one. I read the results but didn't even think to ask for a copy which I will do the next time I see my doc.
I go tomorrow for my cbc's at the chemo clinic at the hospital, I can see if the results are available and see if the nurses will print it off for me. Once my cbc's are done I will be scheduled for the CT and that will be done quickly (this week or next I would expect).

I am hoping too that they were caused by the pnemonia.

Thanks again and take care

Lynn

Zoe's Life Mon Oct 25, 2010 09:56 PM

Frustrated

Well, I opted for the PET due to some other symptoms I have been having (likely related to aging only, but might as well check it all out). My NP's office set up the appointment. I couldn't do that time so I called to see what other options I have. I can't change the appointment! My NP's office has to. So, while I could work out with radiology in 5 minutes a good time, I am supposed to call my NP's office, have them call radiology, maybe go through another time of reschduling because my schedule is not that simple to explain to someone. I am going to do the CT scan again. Why does my NP's office have to make the appointment? Radiology already has the referral.

Zoe

LynnI Fri Oct 29, 2010 03:37 PM

Hi Zoe,

Sorry that things are frustrating for you, I hope you get it solved quickly.

I had my second CT scan yesterday, now we have to wait for the report to be given to my doc.
However, things are not right and I feel it. I now have a cough and a pressure in my chest, it feels werid and almost like when I had the pnemonia but without being sick or coughing anything up. If I take a deep breath, I cough once or twice. I can take deep breaths and exhale normally but it doesn't feel right.
At first I thought it was from my seasonal allergies but my puffers have no effect.
I am also concerned about my general color, I seem to have a pallor now that I didn't have before. I am also not anemic as my counts as of last week were fine. Hopefully that is in my head and I am worrying for nothing.
I expect that I'll see my doc next week and then hopefully I'll have some answers.

Take care,
Lynn

Zoe's Life Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:33 PM

Lynn,

I hope things turn out OK. Post when you hear something.

I see my hemo on Thursday. She is at the same hospital I tried to get the PET. Hopefully I can go through her and get an appointment. Otherwise, I will go with the CT locally and hope it looks the same. If it doesn't I am going to have to bite the bullet and let them schedule the PET, even if it is totally inconvienient.

Zoe

LynnI Wed Nov 3, 2010 11:48 PM

Good update

Last week I had the second CT scan, to see if there were any changes or if the nodules were still there.
It appears that only a couple remain, they are not calcified but they are small and my doctor feels there is nothing to be concerned about. My lungs are in good shape. However there are also a couple of enlarged lymphnodes.
He is sending everything to my MDS doctor and wants them to have *their* people check it out for a second opinion. We would rather be safe than sorry in case something is up.

As for the shortness of breath and pain in my chest, he gave me a very once over and discovered that the pain is coming from muscles. He figures that I have pulled some muscles, which is certainly possible since I work with and around the horses all the time (pushing on 800 lb round bales :) and moving my dog agility equipment that also weights a ton (not quite but it feels like it sometimes).
He suggested taking some over the counter pain meds and see if the pain went away and it did (silly me). And of course once the pain was gone, it was easier to breath. Over all I am relieved and very hopeful that it amounts to nothing with the second opinion.

Thanks,
Lynn

Zoe's Life Thu Nov 4, 2010 12:29 AM

Lynn,
So glad to hear the good news. I too get tightness in my chest which is relieved by Motrin. I seem to carry my stress there and in my shoulders.

Zoe