Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   Transplants (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Got the date from my new Birthday (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=3299)

Cam Wed Nov 14, 2012 08:58 PM

Got the date from my new Birthday

I was told today that my new Birthday will be 12/6/12. Was an especially hard day for me because I am getting very tired of being stuck at home with a lowered immunity (I am 39 and very ADD). So the week after Thanksgiving I go in and start the induction for my BMT. Although I know it will be hard, I am glad I have a course and a plot in which to head. Though the journey may be long I will make it through...

Neil Cuadra Wed Nov 14, 2012 09:17 PM

Cam,

We'll be with you every step of the way. I hope you can have a mostly normal Thanksgiving holiday and that it will be a welcome distraction while you wait 2 more weeks for the transplant preparations to begin.

Lori Patrick Thu Nov 15, 2012 08:46 PM

Cam, I am soooo HAPPY you have a date now! The waiting/worrying is so difficult. Keep your spirits high and remember to take the drugs they offer in order to prevent getting sick. Keep us in the loop. Blessings to you.

mausmish Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:01 AM

A great day for a new birthday - my theory is that one can never have too many birthdays ;-). Best wishes to you as you begin your journey.

Cam Wed Nov 21, 2012 08:52 PM

I am doing the final testing and meetings to ramp up to the start of Chemo. My final biopsy shows that I have MDS and it has not turned into leukemia. The Dr. said today I am in the perfecct spot to do it with a perfect match, I am like an astronaut ready to get on the rocket... I just wish we could pull the trigger and get it started... I will be having a head shaving party next Tuesday before I enter the hospital...

Neil Cuadra Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:38 AM

Cam,

You may be surprised how easily you feel cold without your hair. Perhaps it's time to study the latest fashions for scarves, caps, and hats!

It's not just for daytime or when you are outside. My wife discovered that a soft cap for sleeping made a big difference.

Cam Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:22 PM

I went for orientation for the wing to do the transplant. I found it kind of funny how everything has to be in a ziplock bag.. So they can wipe off the zip lock bag prior to putting it in my room. I also found it depressing that when my ANC goes under .5 I am locked into my room... I am under that now.... I think the hardest part of the BMT will be being stuck in the room...

They were not amused when I asked if we could do campfire songs each night to help the overall attitude of the floor....

milliken2 Sat Nov 24, 2012 01:00 AM

Cam;

I am so happy for you to be getting your transplant. Good Luck to you.

Hey - become a 'biker guy' and get a few colorful dew rags to wear - I am sure you would look just smashing !!!:)

And go ahead and sing some of the campfire songs - if it lifts your spirits - sing away ! Please keep us informed on your progress.

Happy Trails To You - Until We Meet Again! Forever a Roy Rogers Fan,

Beth

Cam Sun Nov 25, 2012 04:41 PM

You can follow my treatment on Facebook at Hunkering Down to Beat MDS. I have set it up to let my friends know about my journey...

Cam