Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   MDS (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Blasts in blood--CBC (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=2657)

cheri Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:35 AM

Blasts in blood--CBC

Well, yesterday I found out I had some blasts in my CBC--(3)
Not sure if this could be from the Neupogen I am taking 4xweek or really is a bad sign. I have learned not to panic over any one test! But, I am concerned.
Any experience out there that was not bad news?

Dr Hemo stopped the Revlimid for now, and I am on Cipro as a precaution with my gut and had a slight fever when I saw him. Got an IV of saline as it seemed I was dehydrated--can't seem to drink enough. While the Vicodin relieves the gut pain, it also dries out the rest of the body, hence the relief from the night sweats, but bad for the GI tract.

Had a CAT scan of my abdomen as my GI issues contintue to be a problem.
Cramping comes and goes and I'm just beat!

Hoping for some feedback on the blast in blood issue!

Birgitta-A Sat Jan 21, 2012 01:08 PM

Blast cells in blood

Hi Cheri,
At dx and until I had been taking Thalidomide one year 2011 I had 0.1 to 0.2 blast cells in blood. Now they have disappeared though I have been taking Neupogen 2 injections/week during 4 years.

My doctor told me at dx that most patients with blood cancer have some blast cells in blood.

I didn't understand what (3) means - are the blast cells 3.0?
Kind regards
Birgitta-A

cheri Sat Jan 21, 2012 03:06 PM

Hi Birgitta
I don't have a copy of the CBC report....I didn't notice if it was .3 or 3.0
However, previously it has been zero. What has changed it that I started Revlimid, and also the 4xweek Neupogen regime to keep up my white count.
So, the doctor says, now it's a concern that my white count is up (2.2) which means my leukemia is probably back. Well, isn't that why I am on the Neupogen? And also, I stopped the Exjade, which some say lowers white blood counts.
Then, the red sores could be leukemia on the skin...(?) I got them when I started Revlimid......
The next few CBC's should be more telling once all of these meds are out of my system...
In the meantime, the Danazol seems to be working, as I haven't needed platelets in 2 months......

Once again, this roller coaster is such a brain drain!!!!!!!!

Birgitta-A Sat Jan 21, 2012 03:30 PM

Blasts in blood

Hi Cheri,
Very good with the positive effect of Danazole on platelets!

Are your WBCs 2.2? That is still quite low - I don't think that count could be a sign of Leukemia.

I am afraid that I don't know much about cutaneous symptoms in Leukemia except petechia - can Leukemia patients have red sores?

Hope next CBC won't show any blast cells in the blood and that the GI issues will decrease!
Kind regards
Birgitta-A

Chirley Sat Jan 21, 2012 06:51 PM

Hi Cheri,

I was wondering why they aren't considering BMT.

Sorry, I don't know anything about blood blasts but like Birgitta says, 2.2 still sounds low to me. Surely it can have risen from the Neupogen and ceasing of Exjade!

Wishing you all the best.

Regards.

knstone Sun Jan 22, 2012 06:01 PM

Hi Cheri

I've had blasts show up in the blood on only 2 occasions over nearly 8 yrs, and for one week only. The last instance showed 3% blasts in peripheral blood, but a BMB the following week only showed only 5% blasts and CBC that week had no peripheral blasts. One MDS doctor said if they don't show up in consecutive CBCs over 2-3 weeks it may not be serious. Neupogen can increase the number of immature cells (blasts) and some can get into the blood stream on occasion.
With MDS/AML the WBCs are generally low, 2.2 is still low so it would not seem to indicate a transformation to leukemia (AML). A BMB that shows high blasts in the marrow is a more telling sign of a transformation of MDS to AML.
Hope your success in controlling MDS continues.

cheri Mon Jan 23, 2012 08:07 AM

Thanks Kirby
I was hoping to hear from you, as it seems you have been through everything and then some!
In the beginning, I thought every little thing was the final blow--I have learned that you can't get caught up in the minutae of every test.
I appreciate your response and wish you continued success!