Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   MDS (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Difference between "immature granulocytes" and ... (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=4851)

bailie Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:42 AM

Difference between "immature granulocytes" and ...

Does anyone understand the difference between "immature granulocytes" and "peripheral blasts" in blood? Is there a difference? I do know that immature granulocytes are affected by steroids(prenisone), infection and surgery trauma (removal of infection) which mine were. My doctor was very concerned with the high reading of the peripheral blasts (or was it the "immature granulocites") at the time of surgery and had me have a BMB last Tuesday. The immature granulocytes have dropped from .98 (at time of surgery) to .89 to .28 in two weeks time. This is a trend that hopefully will be going back to normal in a short period of time. But, it did trigger an immediate response/alarm from doctor at time of surgery and she was thinking relapse.

Naturally, doctor went on Spring Break with family just after presenting me with the news. I will be seeing her this Monday for my questions.

I have been trying to find (if there is any) the difference between the "immature granulocites" which show up on the "Manual Differential" test results and "peripheral blasts" that show up on the blood smear. Is there a difference or is it just different nomenclature?

I feel fine.

DanL Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:26 PM

bailie,

immature granulocytes are any white blood cells that get out of the marrow before maturing. on the differential, they would show up as myelocytea, metamyelocytes, and promyelocytes. blasts usually are counted separately from this grouping of immature granulocytes. igs tend to come out during periods of marrow stress, sometimes from viral infections, drugs, or bone marrow issues. generally they should not be in the peripheral blood, just like blasts. it is probably a good sign that your igs are tending down.

hang in there!

bailie Sat Mar 28, 2015 04:31 PM

Thank you Dan. I guess my desire is that the peripheral blasts react similarly as the immature granulocytes and are a temporary situation from particular influences rather than a relapse.

maggiemag Sat Mar 28, 2015 04:55 PM

I know many of us were waiting for you to post with your results, Bailie. I don't know much but it does sound good that those numbers are coming down. And what nerve for the physician to go on vacation! I always have to laugh when they do stuff like normal people! It just gives you more time to compose your list of questions. :p:cool:
Mags

Cheryl C Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:09 PM

Phew! That sounds more hopeful, Bailie.