Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   AA (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Good news 1 year after ATG (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=1054)

paulaespada Wed Jun 17, 2009 08:16 AM

Good news 1 year after ATG

Hello! :)

My husband finished ATG treatment 1 year ago. He started decreasing cyclosporine dosis very slowly in April: from 150 mg/day to 120 mg/day.
Today we had his last follow-up consultation and his values are: Hb – 14.5; WBC – 4.0; Platelets – 190.;)
We are feeling in the seventh heaven with these good news and the first thing I’m doing when arriving home is coming here and share the good news.
He is doing well, more tired than before the acute disease but he has more weight (about 15 pounds more!).
Meanwhile we went to Brazil in January and he came feeling much better ;)(now with this 1 flu pandemy we will avoid these trips):(
It’s wonderful to feel how we’re feeling.:)
I want to tell everyone that may be going through what we went last year that it will be o.k. everything will be fine!:)
I’m thankful for this group and all help I received here.;)
I will go on coming and telling what’s going on. And hope I can help as you helped me.:)
Best regards and much Light to all.
Paula Espada :)

Neil Cuadra Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:04 PM

How wonderful to hear your good news, Paula!

You and Jorge have been through a lot since he was diagnosed with AA a year ago. I remember that your husband was still feeling poorly even after they declared him "stable" in October, and that must have been discouraging.

I think one of the keys to ATG recovery is getting the cyclosporine dosage right, and tapering it oh-so-slowly. It took many months for Jorge to go from 300 mg/day to 150 mg/day and then 120 mg/day, but the doctors know that's what works best for most patients. That's how it was for my wife too. We thought she'd never get off cyclosporine, but she eventually did.

It's wise for all of us to stay out the way of the flu. Even recovered patients whose immune systems are normal tend to be more careful than they were before they got sick. We're just more aware of our health.

I hope Jorge's strength continues to increase. You've taken good care of him so you deserve much of the credit! :)

paulaespada Thu Jun 18, 2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Cuadra (Post 10006)
How wonderful to hear your good news, Paula!

You and Jorge have been through a lot since he was diagnosed with AA a year ago. I remember that your husband was still feeling poorly even after they declared him "stable" in October, and that must have been discouraging.

I think one of the keys to ATG recovery is getting the cyclosporine dosage right, and tapering it oh-so-slowly. It took many months for Jorge to go from 300 mg/day to 150 mg/day and then 120 mg/day, but the doctors know that's what works best for most patients. That's how it was for my wife too. We thought she'd never get off cyclosporine, but she eventually did.

It's wise for all of us to stay out the way of the flu. Even recovered patients whose immune systems are normal tend to be more careful than they were before they got sick. We're just more aware of our health.

I hope Jorge's strength continues to increase. You've taken good care of him so you deserve much of the credit! :)

Hi!

Thank you very much for your nice words.

Besides adoring my husband I'm a nurse and I feel good for having take care of him. His mother says I saved his son :) But of course it's a team work.

We'll keep out of flu, going around Azores islands, where we live, that are gorgeous and with a wonderful pure air...

Wishing you all the best!

Paula Espada