Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Not sure whats wrong with me.. (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=4435)

MYSTery Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:56 AM

Not sure whats wrong with me..

Hi,

I ended up at this forum in my attempts to research what is going on with my body. Dr. in my small town of no help. I started with flu-like body aches over 2 weeks ago, muscle weakness, extreme fatigue. Had CBC done and levels were off with hemoglobin being at 10. I am a 43 year old white female. WBC at that time was on low side, but normal, but everything to do with RBC's were off. Had iron tested, came back on low side (not flagged), but two different Drs said it wasnt low enough to be causing my issues. But they gave me iron anyhow.

Since then I have had all together 4 CBC's and a few other tests as well as a smear. Here are my latest results (the ones that are abnormal), and this is from a nearly 2 week span:

ABS Granulocytes dropping from 4.0 to 1.7

Hematocrit dropping from 33.2 to 30.4

Hemoglobin dropping from 10.0 to 9.2

MCH 24.1

MCHC 30.3

Monocytes are rising but in the norm.

MPV 8.2

RDW 17.7

RBC in low norm been slowly dropping, now 3.81

WBC slowly dropping from 5.5 to 3.0

SLIDE REVIEW: Platelet estimate- adequate
Microcytosis 1+
Hypochromasia 1+

Last appt blood pressure had dropped from my normal low of about 100/60 to 80/58..

Anyhow, I don't know if anyone else has had similar results, or if anyone has any ideas to help steer me in the right direction, but I though I'd give this a try here.. Dr. simply has just offered me a blood transfusion and iron, and they shrug and say they guess Im just anemic, but doesnt there have to be a 'cause' of sudden anemia?? I've been eating the saame diet and have not had any known blood loss.

triumphe64 Sun Aug 24, 2014 02:44 PM

They could do a Reticulocyte Count. This is just a simple blood test but separate from a CBC.

DanL Sun Aug 24, 2014 03:37 PM

Viral infections can reduce red blood cells and neutrophils for a period of time, and blood pressure could be a reflection of how well hydrated you are. You said that the doctors checked your iron levels, did they check b12, folate, and vitamin D levels as well? All three of those are also implicated in blood cell formation.

I am not a doctor, but you will probably need to keep tracking your numbers for a period of time to see if there is a trend developing and if the numbers don't improve, a biopsy would probably be the next step to determine if there is something going on in your marrow.

As for the "just anemic" statement, there are some who are truly just anemic, but there is usually a cause. Normal levels of platelets, white blood cells, and red blood cells are ranges, and a certain percentage of healthy people fall outside of that range, but being outside of the range for a prolonged period of time would seem to be a cause for further investigation.

MYSTery Sun Aug 24, 2014 06:06 PM

Thank you, I will mention that about the Reticulocyte Count. And, I know what my normal range is, and this is definately not it. The numbers have just been steadily declining or increasing as the days go by..
Was thinking about suggesting marrow test to my Dr..?
Thanks for the advice :)

MYSTery Sun Aug 24, 2014 06:08 PM

Oh yeah, and I don't understand the results of my slide review? Anyone help me understand the 1+ for two of those results??

Chirley Sun Aug 24, 2014 09:27 PM

It means that your cells are slightly smaller than normal and slightly paler. (Usually indicates iron deficiency but not always).

Just because you can't see blood loss doesn't mean it's not happening. Sometimes the loss is so slow that it can be mixed in with the stool and you can't see it but it's still in large enough amounts to cause anaemia. I think your doctor needs to do more tests. Can you go to your local chemist and buy a test for blood in the stool yourself. This is best done on three consecutive days.

Don't forget, you are your best advocate....if you are worried something is wrong keep going back until you are reassured that you have the answers you seek.