Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   Transplants (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   A match has been found! (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=1771)

mausmish Thu Oct 21, 2010 09:13 PM

A match has been found!

:) :eek: Johns Hopkins contacted me today to let me know they've located a perfect match. They need to make certain the donor is still available and willing. If so, I'll begin my preliminary tests soon with tentative transplant dates 11/22, 11/29, or 11/30 if all goes well. My husband and I are very emotional at this point, both excited and scared. I will know more next Monday.

Debbie W Thu Oct 21, 2010 09:27 PM

Karen

What great news and I can imagine that you are both happy and nervous. All the sudden things speed up, but you have done your homework.

Very happy for you!
Debbie

Greg H Thu Oct 21, 2010 09:31 PM

Congrats!

Karen,

Awwwllll-right! Great to hear that you have a match. I love your description: excited and scared. I can only imagine.

Keeping fingers crossed for you . . .

Greg

Laura Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:47 PM

Oh WOW Karen! That is just awesome! I am so happy for you! Congrats to you! Keep us updated.
Laura

Julianna Fri Oct 22, 2010 02:55 AM

Wow... go girl! I can understand your feeling. Hope the best for you.

Neil Cuadra Fri Oct 22, 2010 03:52 AM

Congratulations, Karen. Best news ever. We're excited for you!

squirrellypoo Fri Oct 22, 2010 08:35 AM

Ooh great news! Fingers crossed the donor is still available!

And with dates like those, you'll have new blood by Christmas!! :eek:

tserdogan Fri Oct 22, 2010 09:14 AM

Congratulations.This is very good news.i undertsand your fellings.i hope all your wishes come true.

launch Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:33 AM

Awesome!

Awesome News Karen! I can relate to you and your husband's feelings... Excited & Scared. My husband and I are feeling the same two specific feelings, but, we are really at peace right now, as compared to 1 year ago... things are looking up for us, as we wait for my husband's match, we have embraced our next stage in this battle.... And, we keep reminding ourselves, this is "The Cure".

Hugs & again, Congrats!
Cindy

Susan L Fri Oct 22, 2010 01:07 PM

Karen

Congratulations - I am so very happy for you!!! Best wishes to you and your husband.

Chirley Fri Oct 22, 2010 08:49 PM

How wonderful. I'm a tad jealous.

Chirley

mausmish Thu Oct 28, 2010 03:48 AM

Thanks, everyone!

Chirley, I understand your feelings completely! I felt the same while I was waiting and others had matched siblings.

I found out this evening that my donor is still available and willing but I don't have a date yet. I'll start my pre-transplant tests next week sometime.

squirrellypoo Thu Oct 28, 2010 06:18 AM

Oh that's a big sigh of relief to hear the donor is still willing and able!!

Greg H Thu Oct 28, 2010 09:23 AM

Super news

Hey Karen!

That's super news about your donor! Keeping fingers crossed that all continues to go well.

Greg

Neil Cuadra Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mausmish (Post 15262)
I found out this evening that my donor is still available and willing but I don't have a date yet. I'll start my pre-transplang tests next week sometime.

That's great news, Karen. Your donor is a hero for joining the registry and agreeing to be a donor. It's too bad he or she can't read this and feel the appreciation.

Perhaps they'll tell you a few facts like the age, sex, and country of your donor. In a way it doesn't matter but for some reason those few details were important to us when they found a donor for my wife. When you're thrown a lifeline you naturally wonder who is at the other end!

PJ1972 Tue Nov 2, 2010 02:19 PM

Great news Karen , im new to this forum and due to have bone marrow transplant soon as well , im from London and the donor is coming from America.

Susan L Tue Nov 2, 2010 02:33 PM

Pj1972

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJ1972 (Post 15371)
Great news Karen , im new to this forum and due to have bone marrow transplant soon as well , im from London and the donor is coming from America.

Congratulations to you!! And I am jealous. Best of luck to you.

mausmish Tue Nov 2, 2010 06:29 PM

Neil

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Cuadra (Post 15271)
That's great news, Karen. Your donor is a hero for joining the registry and agreeing to be a donor. It's too bad he or she can't read this and feel the appreciation.

Perhaps they'll tell you a few facts like the age, sex, and country of your donor. In a way it doesn't matter but for some reason those few details were important to us when they found a donor for my wife. When you're thrown a lifeline you naturally wonder who is at the other end!

I agree - as of now, no info on my hero but I hope to be able to get a few general facts.

mausmish Tue Nov 2, 2010 06:34 PM

Tests are progressing

I sailed through the lumbar puncture and bone marrow biopsy today, essentially no pain and really very little discomfort despite being wide awake with local anaesthesia only for both procedures. If all tests are okay, I'm to be admitted on 11/23 for chemo and then get my transplant on either 11/29 or 11/30, depending on when the marrow arrives. I'm also getting my Vidaza treatments this week...busy, busy.

Susan L Tue Nov 2, 2010 06:39 PM

Karen

Again so happy for you. On your match -this was not a relative right? How fortunate to find that match. Best wishes to you.

Lori Patrick Wed Nov 3, 2010 07:38 AM

Karen, CONGRATULATIONS. Keep us informed every step of the way! Hugs, Lori

leeslay Thu Nov 11, 2010 08:28 PM

congratulations!! I am being admitted on the 16th and getting my new marrow on the 23rd. I totally understand how you feel. I am in America and my donor is in Europe, so it'll take a day for the marrow to get here. We are praying for no bad weather!! Good luck to you! I'll keep an eye out for your posts!!!

mausmish Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:48 PM

Lee

Lee, I just responded on your thread before I saw you had replied on mine. :) I haven't been able to get any info about my donor but I've been told my transplant may occur in the wee hours of the morning so am surmising Europe or someplace else far away.

mausmish Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:05 AM

Pre-transplant tests completed

I had my consult with the transplant doctor today, and all my test results came back fine. My bone marrow biopsy showed only 3-4% blasts and no chromosome abnormalities! He declared me to be in complete remission, ideal for the transplant to proceed. I asked if he was sure I need to do this now and he said yes because of my prior chromosome abnormalities and blasts--I was well on my way into AML when initially diagnosed. Also, because the Vidaza will stop working at some point that can't be predicted, now is the best time. I am ready. My admission date is Nov. 23 to begin conditioning chemo with transplant on 29 or 30, depending on what time the cells arrive.

Neil Cuadra Fri Nov 12, 2010 02:27 AM

Karen,

I'm glad to hear that you cleared those hurdles and have the dates set. The explanation for why you still need a transplant makes sense to me - that was a good question to ask.

We will be thinking of you as the end of the month approaches.