Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   MDS (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Why would lymphocyte levels be low (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=4667)

Data Mon Dec 8, 2014 09:52 AM

Why would lymphocyte levels be low

From my understanding of MDS, the reason for the cytopenias is a defect in the myeloid blood line that produces red blood cells, platelets, and some of the white blood cells (basophils, eosinophils, monocytes, and neutrophils). I also understood that the lymphoid line created the lymphocytes (B-cells, T-cells, and NK cells). My question is if my problem is in the myeloid line why would I also have consistently low lymphocyte levels (usually around 0.8). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hoping everyone on the forum has a happy holiday season!!:):)

Data

DanL Mon Dec 8, 2014 12:20 PM

Here's what I think I know about lymphocyte count and MDS. The two major components of your white blood cell count are neutrophils and lymphocytes, at least when your blood count is normal. It is fairly common for the lymphocyte count to be depressed with MDS as lymphocytes are produced in the marrow along with neutrophils, monocytes, eosonophils, etc. Lymphocytes start off as a generic white blood cell, then migrate to the Thymus to mature and differentiate. If the factory (marrow) isn't producing enough white blood cells, or defective white blood cells, then your lymphocyte count may have problems along with your neutrophil count.

Julianna Mon Dec 8, 2014 11:56 PM

Not sure why exactly but I've had low lymphocytes since my AA days. Not sure on their impact on me really because I've always had a low count. I've started having infection issues recently, not sure why. My lymphocytes are still the same as usual.

So hmmmm...don't know

Cheryl C Tue Dec 9, 2014 12:36 AM

Like DanL my impression is that if the WCC is low then normally the lymphocyte levels would be contributing to that. (My lymphocytes average 0.4 and have been at that level for years).

Chirley Tue Dec 9, 2014 03:10 AM

I've always had low lymphs.

Data Tue Dec 9, 2014 12:26 PM

Thanks folks

Thanks for all the comments.

I started Epogen Alfa today.

Have a Happy Holiday!!!

Data

Cheryl C Tue Dec 9, 2014 08:28 PM

Good you are able to get some help Data. Seasons greetings to you all too!

Julianna Thu Dec 11, 2014 01:32 AM

Hi Data, is that Gcsf you've started? All the best xo

Data Thu Dec 11, 2014 08:37 AM

Epogen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julianna (Post 36282)
Hi Data, is that Gcsf you've started? All the best xo

Julie
As far as I know the GCSFs are supposed to stimulate the growth of white blood cells, specifically neutrophils. The Epogen I started is to stimulate the growth of the red blood cells and improve my hemoglobin level. I believe they are given together sometimes but I am just on the Epogen.

Good luck with you BMT!!

Happy holidays:)

Data