Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   Tell Your Story (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   my story (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=4460)

shortcop Tue Sep 9, 2014 10:14 AM

my story

I was diagnosed with sideburblastic anima in 2005. I had my first Bone Marrow aspiration & biopsy. In 2009 another one of bone marrow aspiration, I was told the B-6 pills aren't working. My red count was getting low. My platelets were going up and down the scale. Nothing serious but enough for the Dr. to take attention to it. So Dr. decided it was time for the shots Arasp was admitted for several months. I couldn't take the pain of the burning feel. So the Dr. allowed me to have procit which wasn't to bad. In 2012 Dr. notice my platelets were getting high, She then diagnosed me with MDS. In 2014 she did another Bone Marrow aspiration & Biopsy, the results were MDS with Chromosome 3 abnormal. She then had me go to Moffitt Cancer Hospital to meet with Dr. E. Padron. So May 7, 2014 was my first trip the Moffitt. After having a meeting with Dr. Padron he stated that he need to check out my slides of blood better. On May 17, I return to Moffitt to find out I needed Vidaza. But also he wanted me to meet with the Bone Marrow Unit. so on May 28, 2014 I meet with Dr. Fields & her Unit.
Started my chemo (Vidaza) on June 23 after I had a port put in on June 3rd. Since then I have had 3 treatments. After my first treatment blood work was done & my red count was 7.8 . SO on July 4, 2014 I was having 2 units of blood. My platelets were still high. My white count was get lower but nothing serious.
I was notified by Dr. Fields Unit, they spoke to me about 36 donors were located. Sue Short RN was going to start calling for donors. In a few weeks I got a call for BMT unit, they found 2 perfect match. I was shocked at first cause I wasn't ready for this. August 20th I meet with Dr. Padron to ask his opinion. He wanted it done ASAP.
So as of Oct 22, I will be a patient at Moffitt. Have several test to go though in Sept. & Oct.

Have one more Vidaza treatment next week, Sept. 15 for 7 days

Neil Cuadra Tue Sep 9, 2014 11:55 AM

shortcop,

How fortunate that you have a couple of perfect matches.

Is it already determined that a transplant is recommended, or is that question still to be decided? What's your opinion about going to transplant?

bailie Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:08 AM

How have you responded to the Vidaza treatment? What are your blast counts?

shortcop Thu Sep 11, 2014 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Cuadra (Post 35142)
shortcop,

How fortunate that you have a couple of perfect matches.

Is it already determined that a transplant is recommended, or is that question still to be decided? What's your opinion about going to transplant?

I am going for transplant Oct 22 at Moffitt Cancer Hospital in Tampa, Fl

shortcop Thu Sep 11, 2014 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bailie (Post 35148)
How have you responded to the Vidaza treatment? What are your blast counts?

I go next week for Vidaza Treatment #4 don't know about the blast ?

shortcop Thu Sep 11, 2014 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortcop (Post 35157)
I go next week for Vidaza Treatment #4 don't know about the blast ?

I think I found the question you ask about blast ?
2% blast with evidence of dysgranulopiesis by flow .. there is more but have NO idea what it all means