Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   Tell Your Story (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   BP Oil Spill: Possible cause of AA & PNH??!! (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=2470)

Jennifer M Sat Oct 29, 2011 07:43 PM

BP Oil Spill: Possible cause of AA & PNH??!!

Hello Everyone!

I'm a Newbie & my Wonderful & Very Brave Husband Chris was diagonised July 2011 w/Moderate AA & PNH. Because my Husband has Always been a "Health Nut" his entire life & has never been exposed to any known toxins that can cause these horrible disease(s), we cannnot help but wonder the timing of the BP Oil Spill Disaster & The Dangerous Dispersants used during the ongoing spill & the aftermath (By air & water). We live ON the Gulf Coast & we were both actually swimming in The Gulf of Mexico when the very first sightings of tar balls came ashore. The timing of his downward spriral of health to the final diagnosis just seems "To Fit" EXACTLY! His blood counts were otherwise normal before (from routine physicals & etc....). Does anyone from the Gulf Coast have a new diagnosis of AA, PNH or other Bone Marrow Failure diseases since the BP Oil Spill?

No, I am not an atty. Just a conerned wife that wants answers!

Peace, Love & Health to ALL!!

mscrzy1 Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:19 AM

Sorry, I can't help you. From what I understand most cases of AA are idiopathic, but I did want to respond to forward the link for the AA conference online webinar where they discuss people who get AA and why.

http://live.blueskybroadcast.com/bsb...PIC-WHATWEKNOW

Jennifer M Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:42 AM

Hi Angie,

Thanks so much for your reply & advice! It really helps when you feel that you are not alone! It means soooo much!

We have been informed that most cases are idiopathic. Yet, we just can't help but wonder the timing of the BP Oil Disaster & my husband's diagnosis.

I think I have seen the webinar you speak of. We will watch it again.

Sometimes we just are grasping for answers & want to know if others have experienced the same fate in our area with these unique circumstances. So, anyone from the Gulf Coast with a recently diagnosis of any form of Bone Marrow Failure, please make contact for support!

Peace & Recovery to ALL!

mscrzy1 Sun Oct 30, 2011 02:35 PM

Yes, I completely understand where you are coming from. I remember after being originally dx, I was grasping for answers as well. At the time, I was working cleaning musical instruments for a local instrument store. They didn't provide gloves and I was too young and dumb to know any better at the time. We had the cleaning chemicals sent off for testing and everything, but still weren't able to directly determine that it was what caused my AA. For now, I've come to the conclusion that the chemicals may have weakened my marrow and I may have caught some random virus that just "broke the camel's back". I wish you luck in your search!!!

mausmish Sun Oct 30, 2011 03:19 PM

Before we moved into our current home 8-1/2 years ago, the radon level tested about 100x the safe level. It was completely remediated before we moved in. When I was dx with MDS two years ago, tht was the first thing I thought of. We retested the house and it was still fine. I guess we'll never know the cause of my disease. I think it's human nature to want/need to know the why's.

Dick S Mon Oct 31, 2011 01:51 PM

Sometimes, probably most of the time, we never find out what caused our disease, we are just unlucky and get it. Now that I've got it, it's totally unimportant to me how, there's nothing I can do about it now. I'm pretty sure mine just came from plain old old age when the marrow gets smaller and smaller, tireder and tireder.:(