Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   Transplants (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Dennis G. PSCT 9/9 Update (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=34)

Loretta Mon Sep 11, 2006 05:39 AM

Dennis G. PSCT 9/9 Update

I keep up with Dennis G., who has been dealing with MDS for the same length of time as I, and rcvd. stem cells (PBSCT-unrelated donor) on 9/9/06 in Phoenix. I have rcvd. updates and news through another list (BMT) that we are also on and wanted to share these with you through AA-MDS and marrowforums.org.
His is having a tough time. On Sat. his heart rate went way up but is now getting almost normal. He is on a respirator and dialysis. He is going through tremors but they have him on 24 hr. Fendanyl drip.
His wife Nancy, is by his side at Phoenix hospital.
Sun. update: They put him on med. called Cardium and organizing more tests for him. Dialysis is still showing nothing.
Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

shirlsgirl Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:42 AM

Thank you for the update Loretta. I'm so sorry to hear that Dennis is having a hard time. I sure hope it quickly passes and pray that he is doing better soon.

Jody

Covergirl Tue Sep 12, 2006 02:48 PM

Loretta,
Thanks for the update on Dennis. I continue to pray for him. I check in on him at MDS and Caringbridge sites. His spirit is so wonderful, you just know he will make it thru this.

Thanks for letting us know.
--cheryl

Loretta Thu Sep 14, 2006 09:30 PM

Dennis 9/14 Update

Here is an update from Debbi Hoegler on BMT listserve that I rcvd. today:

I spoke to Nancy and she was sitting with her best friend at his bedside so she has someone to hold her up today. She's very tired but still hopeful and giving it up to God. Dennis was scheduled for a liver biopsy~you know~where they insert the needle and take a piece for the lab, check pressures, etc.~ Well, instead they discovered a new issue with his heart they need to stabilize first so they postponed the liver work until possibly tomorrow. Nancy could tell me nothing more as she hasn't been informed about his heart yet. He had fluid in his lungs as well so they will get that problem solved ASAP. A Cardiologist has been brought in to work on him now. He is still heavily sedated and fighting the good fight. She thanks all of you for your prayers and support.

If you are not living on the edge...you are taking up too much space.

Ruth Cuadra Fri Sep 15, 2006 02:55 AM

Loretta,

Thanks for this update. It does sound as though Dennis is having a very rough time, but I have great faith in City of Hope so if any group can pull him through, they'd be the ones.

Ruth
BMT Survivor, City of Hope, Duarte, CA

Loretta Fri Sep 15, 2006 09:23 PM

Dennis 9/15 update

Friday afternoon update on Dennis G. from Michelle W.

Just spoke to Nancy, the heart issue found to be swelling around his heart, and it is resolving with dialysis. He is still in atrial fibrilation,and off and on is running a temp. They will be doing the liver biopsy later today, in about an hour. Otherwise, he is the same.

Loretta Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:26 PM

Dennis 9/17 Update

Debbi Hoegler sent this latest update on Dennis G. on Sun. 9/17

It is crushing to tell you that our guy is spiralling down. His kidneys have failed, his liver has failed, his lungs are sketchy, and his heart is still erratic. His Onc. says there is very little chance unless he can engraft within the next two days and that would truly be a miracle.

The family had a meeting and they have come to the conclusion that if he codes again they will not revive him. Nancy is heartbroken and has three of her friends with her at his bedside now. Rough. So sad. I pray that crunch time hasn't come and gone and will keep it up until the fat lady sings. Please join in. Thanks.

Loretta Tue Sep 19, 2006 05:58 PM

Dennis passed 9/19/06 1:17am

Tue, 19 Sep 2006 08:54:47 -0700
From: "Debbi Hoegler" <Debbi1224@WEBTV.NET> Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
Subject: [BMT] Dennis Passed Away This Morning
To: BMT-TALK@LISTSERV.ACOR.ORG

It hurts to bring you this on such a beautiful day. But I am grateful that this beast can no longer trouble him. He is with his God. Nancy said he was a trouper. There were some undisclosed liver problems and the induction chemo proved too much for his organs. He had fifteen days only and that was not enough time for his stem cells to engraft. There is no certainty that the transplant could have saved him considering the liver issues.

She is very thankful for our support and will advise me of the funeral arrangements at a later date. You Listmates have been wonderful during this tragic time and I want to thank you as well. I am comforted by all the love I find here every day.

If you are not living on the edge...you are taking up too much space.

Ruth Cuadra Wed Sep 20, 2006 03:04 AM

Condolences to the family of Dennis G.

Dear Loretta,

On behalf of Marrowforums, I would appreciate your extending our condolences to Nancy and her family on the tragic loss of Dennis. He will be remembered here as the trailblazer who was our first poster when the site opened in August.

Sincerely,
Ruth Cuadra

pbaxter Wed Sep 20, 2006 05:25 PM

Nancy,

I am so sorry that Dennis has passed on. Please accept my deepest heartfelt sympathy and condolences. God bless you and your family.

Paul

mo_shane Wed Oct 4, 2006 07:41 PM

:(

loretta, please pass on my deepest sympathies to nancy and family. i'm just new here and didn't know denis at all. but from what little i read, he sounded like a real character. i'm sure he will be greatly missed.

my sincere and heartfelt condolences.

*hugs*

gina xxx