Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   MDS (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bailie needs suggestions (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=4877)

bailie Wed Apr 8, 2015 10:11 PM

Bailie needs suggestions

I have some very important decisions coming up. If anyone has suggestions from their experience or experience of others I would be very appreciative. I have had a pretty good experience (if that is possible) the last 16 months. My counts have been close to normal for most of the time and have needed only one transfusion (at SCT time) during the entire period. The "good times" have come to an end and suggestions of how to proceed will be appreciated.

My Dr. called tonight and my blast count jumped to 33 percent. We all know what that means. Big decision will be to have inpatient high dose Flag-Ida or let this play out to the end. Is the risk - reward of the chemo worth it? I don't know that I would like to spend the rest of my life getting treatment in the hospital.

DanL Wed Apr 8, 2015 11:36 PM

Bailie,

I am very sorry to hear that your blast count has jumped up so quickly. With news like this, I have three thoughts: 1) trust yourself - you know what you can take and how you feel 2) trust your doctors once you have all of the information that you need (maybe time for a second opinion), 3) maintain faith and confidence (your attitude and strength have guided you well).

Strong chemotherapy followed by transplant will be a difficult road, but it has been travelled successfully by others.

Dan

Cheryl C Thu Apr 9, 2015 04:25 AM

Bailie, I'm so sorry to hear this. I don't have any advice, having not gone down your path (yet). I think Dan has given you very wise advice and I just want you to know you are very much in my thoughts and prayers.

SLB Thu Apr 9, 2015 07:11 AM

Sorry to hear that Bailie! I went through induction chemo and whilst this was not after a transplant, I was transfusion dependent & had progressed after months of vidaza. I actually had little side effects from the chemo but had numerous fevers from having no neuts. However I was 20 years younger. It is a tough decision & I don't know the answer for you. However I agree with Dan.. He has said it well. One other question though, is vidaza not an option? You seemed to have good success with it last time? I know your blast count is high but I think I recall others using this, if a transplant / chemo wasn't an option.

bailie Thu Apr 9, 2015 02:15 PM

I thank all of you. When I had the chemo (Fludarabine) for my SCT it hit me pretty hard but my numbers and outcome were very good coming out of it. I don't know how that would compare to Flag-Ida and how long the hopeful remission would last. I guess we never know the answers to questions like that until we give it a try. As we all know, the challenges seem to just keep coming and we just have to do our best to meet them with the best of our abilities.

rar Thu Apr 9, 2015 06:31 PM

Hi Bailie,

I'm so sorry to hear about your last BMB.

I hope my experiences might help. I heard about all the risks associated with SCT. With my risk / reward ratio it was a no brainer to go with SCT. I came down with CMV, C.Diff and grade 4 GVHD. I spent 2 months in the hospital unable to eat and for my safety not allowed out of bed. They told my wife they thought I would die. If I survived there was a good chance of no long term problems. I am much improved now so again it was the right decision to put up with the hospital stay.

If I was convinced that there was not a good long term prognosis I would not put up with a 2 month hospital stay. I would go home and try my best from there.

Ray

bailie Thu Apr 9, 2015 10:37 PM

Ray, you are a true inspiration. This is a difficult journey for all of us and you certainly have worked your way through one of the more difficult journeys. I applaud your efforts and willingness to persevere. I guess the lesson is to do everything we can to influence a positive outcome, while realizing that there will be some things that are out of our control.

I really appreciate the collective efforts we have on this forum with people we will probably never meet in person. Thank you.

Cheryl C Fri Apr 10, 2015 06:49 AM

Bailie - How are you actually feeling? Do you still feel well?

bailie Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:04 AM

Cheryl, I do feel well. If I could live feeling this well for a long time, I would be very appreciative. My blood counts are fine except for the blasts. That is what is difficult for this whole experience from the start.

Cheryl C Sat Apr 11, 2015 08:17 PM

I'm glad you feel well, Bailie. Hopefully that should help you cope with the treatment if you decide to go that way.

Are there any people on the forum who have continued to live comfortably for a reasonable period of time with a high blast count?

vickij Mon Apr 13, 2015 09:58 AM

Bailie ,

I don't have any suggestions for you, but you will be in my prayers. I really don't understand this disease. I am thankful for all the people on here that have so much information. I had transplant 22 mo. ago. I was told that a transplant would be a cure, but I hear of so many people having to have a second transplant. I know I should be asking my Dr more questions but as long as he was happy with blood counts, I was happy. He has never said if I am in remission or cured.

bailie Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:26 PM

Thank you Vicki. I think it is terrific that you are doing well. I have my appointments in about two hours. The big decision for me (and the Drs.) will be to continue with more rounds of Vidaza (I just finished 1st cycle) or to go straight to the 30 day intensive Flag-Ida chemo. I am leaning toward the Vidaza for at least a couple more cycles before the Flag-Ida since I responded so well to the Vidaza before my SCT. Neither choice is that great. "Relapse" is a tough word to deal with.

I still don't understand why my "immature granulocytes" are now back very close to the normal range (0.9) and my blasts are going in the opposite direction. Logically (to me) they should move in the same direction, so that will be my first question today.

johnwc Mon Apr 13, 2015 04:47 PM

Bailie, look forward to hearing their answers and what you are going to do. When I think about you and this current situation I want to scream:mad:

Vicki, tomorrow is day+100 for me. I've studied and read so much in the last year and a half and learned that Leukemia, regardless of label, is tricky, with no strong pattern. It seems to have a mind of it's own. I read somewhere that if no cancer cells after 5 years you can consider yourself cured.

Blessings to both of you,

JOHN

Cheryl C Mon Apr 13, 2015 07:21 PM

Bailie, I will be interested in the explanation regarding granulocytes and blasts. Hope your consultation goes really well and you come away feeling properly informed about your options.

bailie Mon Apr 13, 2015 08:21 PM

I just got back from my appointment.

1) The immature granulocytes generally do mirror the blasts. In my case the immature granulocytes are now in the normal range at 0.3 while the blasts are at 33% (AML). And, I have the 9;22 (Philadelphia chromosome).

2) I just finished my 1st cycle of Vidaza and they will start me on a tyrosine kinase inhibitor for the 9;22 as soon as they get approval from insurance.

3) I will have another BMB just before the next Vidaza cycle in three weeks.

4) If blasts are increased I will go into hospital for the 30 day Flag-Ida chemo and a DLI. If blasts are decreased then we will continue the Vidaza and another BMB.

Does that sound like fun, or what?

rar Mon Apr 13, 2015 09:17 PM

No, it does not sound like fun.

Just so long as you have a fighting chance don't give up.

I wish you the best.

Ray

Cheryl C Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:51 PM

You are very brave, Bailie - hope the Vidaza does the trick!

maggiemag Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:48 AM

Bless you, Bailie! I am with John about just wanting to scream! But I pray your positive attitude and acceptance will help you cope with your planned approach. You are informed and knowledge is power to a certain degree, maybe?
Mags

joesmith Thu May 14, 2015 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bailie (Post 37683)
I just got back from my appointment.

1) The immature granulocytes generally do mirror the blasts. In my case the immature granulocytes are now in the normal range at 0.3 while the blasts are at 33% (AML). And, I have the 9;22 (Philadelphia chromosome).

2) I just finished my 1st cycle of Vidaza and they will start me on a tyrosine kinase inhibitor for the 9;22 as soon as they get approval from insurance.

3) I will have another BMB just before the next Vidaza cycle in three weeks.

4) If blasts are increased I will go into hospital for the 30 day Flag-Ida chemo and a DLI. If blasts are decreased then we will continue the Vidaza and another BMB.

Does that sound like fun, or what?

Hi Ballie - No it is definitely not fun but please stay strong. You did so well with your SCT and it is such an utter shame that the disease would relapse and with such high blasts. I hope the Vidaza works well for you. You are in my prayers. Keep us posted.

traceyn11 Thu May 14, 2015 11:00 PM

Ugggh! So sorrry bailie. Just like joe said, I hope the Vidaza works well for you. Glad you are feeling well otherwise.

bailie Fri May 15, 2015 01:42 PM

Joe and Tracey,

My counts have greatly improved since that first round of Vidaza (down to 5-10 percent blasts), so that is good. Blood draws/results have improved every test since that first round of Vidaza and Sprycel, WBCs and neutrophils are back in "normal range" and PLTs have increased to 100. So that is very good. I will have another BMB June 8th to see next direction.

vickij Fri May 15, 2015 04:40 PM

bailie

So happy to hear your good news. Still Praying for you.

Cheryl C Sun May 17, 2015 08:05 PM

Wonderful news from you, Bailie. It seems you made the right decision to go on Vidaza again. As we Aussies would say, "Goodonyer, mate!"

johnwc Mon May 18, 2015 04:59 PM

ok..June 8th is on my calendar. I may see you there as I might have an appt also.
JOHN

joesmith Thu May 28, 2015 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bailie (Post 38015)
Joe and Tracey,

My counts have greatly improved since that first round of Vidaza (down to 5-10 percent blasts), so that is good. Blood draws/results have improved every test since that first round of Vidaza and Sprycel, WBCs and neutrophils are back in "normal range" and PLTs have increased to 100. So that is very good. I will have another BMB June 8th to see next direction.

Great news Ballie. We will be starting my mom on Vidaza again after a break of 4 months and it is good to know that there are chances of vidaza working after a break. I have you in my prayers. Stay strong!