Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   MDS (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2nd Cancer after Treatment for MDS (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=5778)

Data Wed Jul 19, 2017 08:28 AM

2nd Cancer after Treatment for MDS

Has anyone been diagnosed with a second type of cancer or had a previous cancer return after treatment for MDS?

The reason I am asking is when I was considering the stem cell transplant for my MDS I was warned that there was a remote chance that the conditioning (myeloablative) could cause a second cancer or cause a previous cancer to return. I should have paid more attention. I was treated for prostate cancer in 2013 with high dose rate brachytherapy. My SCT was in April of 2016. My prostate cancer has returned and is metastatic.

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

Thanks

Data

Hopeful Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:28 PM

I am sorry to read this, Data. You have come so far!

My thoughts are with you. Remember that you are a fighter and keep fighting!

Data Wed Jul 19, 2017 07:22 PM

Thanks

You are young to have so many of these problems. Maybe being younger will help your body fight the little monsters.

What is funny in my case is when I got the radiation for prostate cancer they said it could cause other cancers. Similar to what they said when I got the transplant. Several doctors have suggested the radiation for prostate cancer could be the cause of my MDS. Now the treatment for MDS may have brought my prostate cancer full circle.

Best wishes to you!!!

Data

Cheryl C Thu Jul 20, 2017 05:01 AM

I'm really sorry to hear this news, Data. You've been such a positive contributor to this forum. Best wishes for whatever you decide to do next. I'll be watching for your posts.

lisa3112 Sun Jul 23, 2017 06:34 AM

Yeah I think any high dose chemo can unfortunatly increase likelyhood of cancer. You will beat this though!! Good luck, stay positive.

Data Wed Jul 26, 2017 06:23 PM

Revised prognosis

All,
Thanks for all the well wishes!!!

On Friday my PSA was 7.4 (down from a high of 20). A ENT doctor ruled out the metastasis that was indicated in the PET Scan. The urologist that originally said my prostate cancer was “aggressive and metastatic” revised his opinion to “contained within the prostate”. I talked to a different urologist today (the original one was out sick today) and we decided to check the PSA again in a 3 months and go from there.

Cheers

Data

lisa3112 Thu Jul 27, 2017 02:50 AM

Thats great news!

worriedmama Thu Jul 27, 2017 03:15 PM

Hope you continue to receive good news, Data!

Hopeful Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:57 AM

Great news!! Hopefully the farther in time you get from your transplant, the stronger your immune system will be to keep the bad cells in check.

Cheryl C Sun Jul 30, 2017 08:35 PM

That sounds more positive, data! May the good news continue ...

Bossywife Wed Aug 2, 2017 10:24 PM

I'm so glad for the happy ending of this post!! I was quite sad to read the beginning.

Best wishes for continued good news!! :D