Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   MDS (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Cast iron cookware and chicken livers! (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=4194)

Donna T Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:06 PM

Cast iron cookware and chicken livers!

Wondering about thoughts on using cast iron for cooking when having to have transfusions every 2-3 weeks. Does the iron in the cookware contribute to the iron overload from transfusions? Would it be OK to use cast iron for cooking occasionally? And chicken livers. I love chicken livers! Is there any harm in eating them occasionally? Is the amount of iron content in them too risky if someone gets frequent PRBC transplants? Silly questions, I know. :)

Neil Cuadra Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:20 PM

These are valid questions, definitely worth asking.

From what I've read, the iron in food and the iron that sloughs off an iron skillet do indeed contribute to iron overload. Tiny amounts from occasional encounters aren't as big a problem as regular intake from sources like these. It all adds up because our bodies aren't good at getting rid of excess iron.

For food tips when iron overload is a concern, see the diet page from the Iron Disorders Institute, but read carefully since it covers both iron overload and insufficient iron.

Donna T Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:18 PM

Very informative page from Iron Disorders Institute. Thanks for posting Neal.

Caregive Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:12 AM

Thanks, Neil. Interesting about eggs. It is very workable to use less beef and do other things to lessen the intake of iron from foods. But on the other hand, it's hard to memorize all that info. There may be other sites on iron overload.

Marlene Fri Apr 25, 2014 08:52 AM

We explored this issue too when John's iron was sky high. Based on input from our doctors and researching this a bit, our conclusion was not to worry about the iron in food and focus on an overall balanced diet. The iron from food is negligible compared what you get with each transfusion.

It's important to realize that the body regulates the uptake of iron from foods based on need. So unless you also suffer from hemochromatosis, you will not absorb a lot of iron from the food you eat. So for most who have iron overload from transfusions, the body's need for more is not there and it will self regulate. That does not mean that no iron will be absorbed, just less. Where as if you are low in iron, your body will uptake more from the foods you eat. IMO, the diet restrictions to reduce the amount of iron you consume, especially when still getting red cell transfusions, is not really needed since the iron overload root cause is the transfusions.

The other substance that can impair iron absorption is tannins. Those are found in teas and red wine. So drinking tea with meals will reduce how much you absorb.

I do use an iron skillet too for some things. Mostly for eggs.

Amelia Fri May 30, 2014 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna T (Post 33601)
Wondering about thoughts on using cast iron for cooking when having to have transfusions every 2-3 weeks. Does the iron in the cookware contribute to the iron overload from transfusions? Would it be OK to use cast iron for cooking occasionally? And chicken livers. I love chicken livers! Is there any harm in eating them occasionally? Is the amount of iron content in them too risky if someone gets frequent PRBC transplants? Silly questions, I know. :)

I don't think it would hurt using an iron pan. You will get added iron from the pan, my Mom always used cast iron pans and said it was a good source of iron. I don't think you would get iron overload but talk it over with your doctor.