Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   MDS (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Tired from low platelets (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=5832)

Bossywife Wed Sep 27, 2017 06:58 PM

Tired from low platelets

My husband's numbers are decent, his platelets are 50-90 usually and his WBC is a bit low. He is very active, plays hockey, lots of walking at work... But lately he has been very tired. Could it be the platelets? His blood is checked monthly, so we would know if it was worsening.

Sally C Wed Sep 27, 2017 08:10 PM

Hi Bossywife,
My husband's oncologist told us that it is actually the whites being low that made people feel bad. I don't think it's due to the platelets unless he has a bleed somewhere.
Best wishes,
Sally

DanL Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:56 AM

Low platelets were the primary symptom of my MDS for the first 3+ years and I did not experience fatigue as a result of being in the 20k-30k range during this time.

Aside from normal causes of fatigue, with MDS, as Sally C mentioned, it can be tied to low WBC or RBC.

Bossywife Thu Sep 28, 2017 04:18 PM

My husband's WBC is below normal, but not critically low. That can cause exhaustion?

Callie Thu Sep 28, 2017 08:03 PM

My dad's reds/Hgb/HCT stayed pretty constant over the 3 1/2 years, so any fatigue wasn't associated with that. But, his platelets did fluctuate quite a bit and he did seem to feel much more tired when they dropped (the whites usually decreased at the same time, but the platelets were the most drastic)...

DaveAvl Fri Sep 29, 2017 06:46 AM

Callie, thanks for that. I just passed it along to my husband who replied, "Well then I'm not imagining it..."

Bossywife Mon Oct 2, 2017 07:21 AM

Would it hurt to give my husband a small iron supplement? If his HGB is mildly low?

maggiemag Mon Oct 2, 2017 05:55 PM

BW, you should check with your husband's physician first of all. We aren't doctors, or at least I'm not. That said, my oncologist, who tends to be overly thorough, checks my iron profile probably twice a year, bc I don't absorb oral iron. In your husband's work up, it is likely to have been checked. Additionally, iron stores are also checked, I believe, when a bone marrow biopsy is done. So his physician probably would have told you if he felt he would benefit from additional iron. You can have anemia from MDS and also have iron deficiency anemia. Also you said his HB is slightly low, but what is the number?

lisa3112 Wed Oct 4, 2017 08:11 AM

Has he had many blood transfusions in the past months? My iron levels are high because the iron you recieve in blood transfusions has no way to leave the body effectively. So maybe check levels before giving supps.

Ugo Fri Oct 6, 2017 03:32 PM

tIRED FROM LOW PLATELETS

I started down this MDS road in 1902 when as a result of my annual pysical my CBC scores were below normal. Since that time my blood counts have remained in a band wavered on a regular basis. During those early years my main complaint was fatigue. When I told my hemo, the reply was to exercise. Honestly, I did not comply.. In turn I used B-12 lozenges which I really do not know if they really helped or that I thought that they did.

A little over three years ago I moved to Florida and in my development was a gym. I did begin to use the gym on a regullar basis and I do cardio for 30 minutes and resistance exercises for 15. I try to get there each day but it is usually 5 times a week. The exercise has helped with the fatigue.

This week my CBC was 2.20 WBC an 90 for platelets. At 80 years old I am thankful that my disease has not progressed beyond where it is. I can tell you though I am currently scheduled for an MRI for prostrate cancer. Who knows?