Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   Transplants (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I met my donor! (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=2910)

mausmish Tue May 22, 2012 10:48 PM

I met my donor!

I just returned from my first post transplant vacation, a trip to southern Washington and Oregon to meet my donor with a stop on the way home in the Colorado Rockies. We had a wonderful week. While I was visiting with my donor, we were interviewed by features editor for The Daily News of Longview, Washington. She wrote a very nice article about my donor and me, published today. Some of the finer technical details are not correct but it is a beautifully written story about me meeting my donor plus a plea for others to join the National Marrow Donor registry. See the story here. There are also a few more photos on my blog, linked below. It was a fantastic experience finally meeting my donor and being able to thank her face to face for saving my life.

Debbie W Tue May 22, 2012 11:27 PM

Karen

Just reading the updates it sounds like you had a great trip and that your donor was just as thrilled to finally meet you. What a wonderful gift to give a stranger and also you traveling across country to meet her and her family.

Be well !!!

cathybee1 Wed May 23, 2012 12:03 AM

What a pleasure to read this, Karen.

Ruth Cuadra Wed May 23, 2012 02:37 AM

Dear Karen,

What a fabulous experience! So much of what was conveyed in the article reflects my own experience when I met my donor. She never considered backing out. She said, "It was the right thing to do. If people like me don't help people like Ruth, who's going to do it?" We had an instant bond.

I wish you continued success with your recovery and many good times with Michael--and Mary!

Regards,
Ruth

Laura Wed May 23, 2012 02:11 PM

What a great article!! It sounds like a wonderful trip. I am so happy you were about to meet her! laura

milliken2 Wed May 23, 2012 10:43 PM

I can't even begin to imagine the feelings you both went through - and I a so happy for you, and your successful trip. Take Care.

Beth

mausmish Thu May 24, 2012 02:44 PM

Thank you all! We really did have a wonderful time.

squirrellypoo Mon May 28, 2012 09:52 AM

That's so cool! I'm really very jealous! I wrote a thank you card to my donor at one year, but never had any reply from him. :(

Laura Tue May 29, 2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrellypoo (Post 23622)
That's so cool! I'm really very jealous! I wrote a thank you card to my donor at one year, but never had any reply from him. :(

same here.....have written....no replies....her country makes us wait five years before we can ask to know who each is...

mausmish Tue May 29, 2012 02:08 PM

Wow, I now feel especially fortunate to have made contact so easily and with such a positive outcome.

Neil Cuadra Wed May 30, 2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrellypoo (Post 23622)

That's too bad. Maybe it's worth trying again. Perhaps he'll reply to a second letter. Maybe he's so selfless that he wants no credit, but you'll always be curious.

Meeting my wife's donor was an amazing experience and I sure hope you get the opportunity.

Lori Patrick Wed May 30, 2012 07:35 PM

How neat Karen! I'm sure you made her day - year! Lori

donna j. Wed May 30, 2012 07:58 PM

I was allowed to send a note to my donor with no identifying information and my transplant center sent it to the center where the donor was located to be forwarded to her. I wanted to thank her and hoped she was feeling well and recovered from the donation. I haven't heard back either. I wonder if perhaps the donors don't always receive our cards and notes.

mausmish Thu May 31, 2012 04:32 PM

I had to wait an entire year to be able to do anything and then had to complete a written request via my transplant center that had to be approved by the donor. After that, however, I was provided with full contact information - name, physical address, phone, and email. The release forms for both of us included spaces for desired methods of contact. My donor asked about me throughout the year but was told only that I'd successfully engrafted her marrow.