Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   MDS (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Surgery with low Platelets (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=6074)

Bossywife Tue May 22, 2018 07:35 PM

Surgery with low Platelets

So Hockey strikes again :( ... my husband tore his rotator cuff badly. He did it about 14 years ago on the same shoulder... a complete tear.. but it healed on it's own with Physio.

This time, I think he's going to push for the surgery but I'm wondering.. will they even do surgery if your platelets are 44-60?

Pearl Tue May 22, 2018 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bossywife (Post 52252)
So Hockey strikes again :( ... my husband tore his rotator cuff badly. He did it about 14 years ago on the same shoulder... a complete tear.. but it healed on it's own with Physio.

This time, I think he's going to push for the surgery but I'm wondering.. will they even do surgery if your platelets are 44-60?

I am not a doctor -- that is the person to turn to with questions about surgery with low platelets and your husband. However, platelets below 50 and a contact sport such as ice hockey where bleeding is quite common do not seem the best mix.

Sally C Tue May 22, 2018 08:51 PM

We were told they will do surgery with platelets at 50,000. If he's a little low they could give him some platelets to boost them for the surgery.
All the best,
Sally

DanL Wed May 23, 2018 01:12 AM

I had oral surgery prior to transplant. They wanted me to be at 75,000. I was at 25,000 and received about 5 platelet transfusions to make it happen. I think the short answer is that yes, surgery can be done but extra caution is probably in order.

Pearl Wed May 23, 2018 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanL (Post 52255)
I had oral surgery prior to transplant. They wanted me to be at 75,000. I was at 25,000 and received about 5 platelet transfusions to make it happen. I think the short answer is that yes, surgery can be done but extra caution is probably in order.

Certainly, you know your situation, which is interesting. However, wouldn't the surgeon with direct knowledge of this specific case be the opinion that matters?

Neil Cuadra Wed May 23, 2018 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearl (Post 52256)
Certainly, you know your situation, which is interesting. However, wouldn't the surgeon with direct knowledge of this specific case be the opinion that matters?

Surgeons may not be familiar with the specifics of bone marrow failure diseases, making it hard for them to judge the risk, take necessary precautions, or be prepared in case of an emergency.

It's very individual. Some happen to know enough to deal with it, some just need a little information from you the patient, and some may want to consult with your hematologist.

After consulting with a surgeon, some patients schedule procedures shortly after a transfusion, like filling up the gas tank before a driving trip. And some put off surgery if they can avoid or delay it.

vicid Sun Dec 16, 2018 07:32 AM

My father had splenectomy with platelet morr than 50000 and had two hip replacements with 70000. Before surgery he took several platelet transfusion becayse he had 10000-20000 platelet number originally.