Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   MDS (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Vegetarian issues with MDS (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=3831)

Honeybun Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:09 PM

Vegetarian issues with MDS

Hello

I have been vegetarian since I was 18. I have read some posts that salads and fruit etc that cannot be peeled should be avoided. What other issues may I encounter or is there anyone else that is a vegetarian that had issues.

I remember when I was diagnosed the first thought when they explained the red cells was to have a big steak. I know that will not fix it lol. But I expected it, as some drs have suggested eating meat again because of my chronic aneamia before my diagnosis.

I will miss having salads and fresh juice :( well when the time comes, I am not giving them up now!

Honey

Chirley Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:27 PM

Also be careful with undercooked eggs and soft cheeses.

Honeybun Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:30 PM

:eek: noooooooooooooooo not the cheese!

Cheryl C Mon Sep 2, 2013 06:00 AM

Dear Honey - I am 99% vegetarian and non-dairy. Have been all my life and continuing since diagnosed with MDS. Occasionally eat fish and probably 2 eggs a week max, so I'm close to being vegan. The research I've read is that meat-eaters are just as likely to be anaemic as vegetarians.

I eat lots of raw fruits and vegies - I just wash them carefully. I don't even peel unless the skin isn't edible. You can buy really good non-toxic vegie washes. During the transplant process it's a different story though - when I was preparing for transplant I resolved to do as I was told except eat red meat - I don't think I could ever do that!

All the very best! I am praying for all the transplant people on the forum. It's a huge decision to make.

Honeybun Mon Sep 2, 2013 12:28 PM

Cheryl I can't imagine eating a steak etc either. I totally forgot there are vege washes. Where can you buy them? I do remember reading something about a home made vege wash. I think vinegar was involved. Off to google.

Honeybun Mon Sep 2, 2013 12:36 PM

Here's what I found.

If you want to make sure that your veggies are really clean, and free of as many pesticides as possible. Try this easy washing system:

The Spray: Grab a small sprayer (around 16 -ounces), and fill with water. Add 2tbsp lemon juice and 1 tbsp baking soda. Shake gently before use. Spray over your fruits and veggies. Leave for 10 minutes, and then wipe or rinse off.

The Soak: This is great as a second step, but also perfect for leafy greens such as kale, spinach, lettuce etc. Fill a sink with cold water. Add 1 cup white vinegar and 1/4 cup salt. Swish around. Toss in your veggies. Leave to soak for 20 minutes. Rinse thoroughly, and you are good to go.

Tip: Although you should peel the skins of most fruits, you need to thoroughly clean fruits like berries. I would try “The Soak” for all your berries, but as they are delicate, just soak for 10 minutes. Don’t worry, the vinegar smell/taste will be non-existent after they have been gently rinsed.

Marlene Tue Sep 3, 2013 07:58 AM

don't use the sink

I soaked vegetable and fruits in vinegar and water but NOT in the sink. The sink is breeding ground for germs. Use a soup pot or some other large container.

You can also use a 3% hydrogen peroxide + vinegar solution.

Cheryl C Tue Sep 3, 2013 08:11 AM

I was thinking of Amway Veggie Wash, but your solution is easy and much cheaper too!

Honeybun Tue Sep 3, 2013 08:22 AM

Yes Marlene I agree. I thought most would amend the sink and water bit. But probably good to point it out.

Wow Amway is still around!

Chirley Tue Sep 3, 2013 06:34 PM

When I worked Infection Management we took random swabs. The flora that was found living under the sink plug and the outlet was horrendous.

The next worse were the elevator buttons.