Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   MDS (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Long Term Antibiotics (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=3494)

Julianna Tue Mar 5, 2013 04:28 PM

Long Term Antibiotics

Hi all! I've been on antibiotics for over 6 months now. Seems to be preventing the life threatening infections I used to have. Glad about that, however struggling with gut issues a bit. I take antibiotic in the morning & probiotics at night. But I still have uncomfortable inflammation type feeling in my gut...

Does anyone have any ideas about what foods to eat and/or avoid to help this? I do eat yoghurt but I also eat junk at times! Hard to eat well when I'm feeling tired a lot. Any suggestions welcome! Thank you.

Julianna Thu Mar 7, 2013 03:21 AM

I'm going to my GP to discuss perhaps Candida overgrowth and a referral to a dietitian. Hope that can help. Been feeling sick the last few days, may have the stomach virus that's going around. It's always unnerving wherever I get sick. I'm a bit over it. Just want to live normally. I'm trying to stay positive.

Neil Cuadra Thu Mar 7, 2013 11:54 AM

Please let us know what the dietitian advises, Julie. Other people may have the same questions.

If you've got the stomach virus, let's hope it's a minor case of it and that you can fight it off quickly. Ironically, to live normally means getting a cold or flu now and then, just like people without AA or MDS do!

Julianna Thu Mar 7, 2013 03:31 PM

Thanks Neil. Yeah that's right. Normal people do get sick, but don't always have the worry that goes with it. I try & forget about my MDS most of the time & I can do it mostly - but every now & then it rears it's ugly head. And I just pop in here & say hi.

Hi! :D

Marlene Thu Mar 7, 2013 04:43 PM

Hi Julianna,

It's really difficult to combat the effects of antibiotics while you're on them. In our experience, you need more than one probiotic. So many things go into the health of our gut. Proper stomach acid, digestive enzymes, minerals and good bacteria.

One of the best sources of healthy cultures is from fermented vegetables like sauerkraut, pickles, kim chee, etc. These are naturally fermented usually with sea salt or a whey starter.(and not the canned stuff) One small serving with each meal will provide more beneficial bacteria than any commercial pill. Most health food stores will carry it.

The other thing you need to combat candida is to stop eating sugar. It just feeds on it. You can find a anti-candida diet online to see what to avoid.

Marlene

Julianna Thu Mar 7, 2013 04:53 PM

Thanks Marlene. :)

billyb Thu Mar 7, 2013 11:57 PM

My wife is on a lot of antibiotics and anti fungals the most important thing for her is certain ones will mess with her liver funtion so she has to be careful with her pain meds because it slows the half life down we just try to be careful about how we eat...but there are certain days she loves her lucky charms...sending our love and prayers

Julianna Sun Mar 31, 2013 05:46 PM

Thank you. I'm very interested in the antifungal medication & what it's used to treat/prevent? I'm having issues with the coldsore virus of late. May need to see my Dr. Hard going when you have questions over the Easter break! Been a few weeks struggling with it & I found new outbreak else in my body. Should I be really concerned???

Heather8773 Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:50 PM

My husband takes diflucan (anti fungal) and valtrex (anti viral) and bactrim (antibiotic) to cover low immune system while on cyclosporine.
Hope that answers your question:)

fight-mds-u-clark Mon Apr 1, 2013 09:00 AM

MDS Side Effects

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julianna (Post 27447)
Hi all! I've been on antibiotics for over 6 months now. Seems to be preventing the life threatening infections I used to have. Glad about that, however struggling with gut issues a bit. I take antibiotic in the morning & probiotics at night. But I still have uncomfortable inflammation type feeling in my gut...

Does anyone have any ideas about what foods to eat and/or avoid to help this? I do eat yoghurt but I also eat junk at times! Hard to eat well when I'm feeling tired a lot. Any suggestions welcome! Thank you.

Julianna, I was told I had MDS - U w/o anemia #7 del in 2007. I chose supportive care over BMT. Supportive care is to take anti - fungal, anti - viral, anti - bacteria and a anti biotic. And as I have been taking them for the past 6 years I know what you are going threw. What worked for me was a simple anti - acid pill. Zantac - Prilosac - Nexium. I had found Nexium worked the best. And I only took it for about 3 months. Now I am doing fine with it.

billyb Mon Apr 1, 2013 12:32 PM

I will get the names of them when we get home...were doing treatment today, Tina says she is on 3 different ones, 2 are mainly becauce her WBC has not risen above 1.3 for 5 months so she is prone to infection, which hasent been to bad lately, we will see in the comeing months with the pollen being terrible down here in GA, She loves cheesecake, I dont know if that keeps her from having an upset stomach....I know it makes her happy though....lol

Cheryl C Sun Apr 7, 2013 07:29 PM

I have had low white cell count (around 1-1.5) for 8 years. Just a few ideas for natural remedies which I find help to keep me off antibiotics most of the time:

1. Take a 5000 mg Echinacea capsule if you feel the slightest hint of a sore throat, avoid foods containing sugar, and continue taking echinacea as advised on the packaging until you no longer have this symptom.

2. Take L-Lysine at the first hint of a cold-sore and continue taking as advised on packaging until you have relief.

3. Take Cranberry capsules 10,000 mg at the first hint of a UTI and continue taking until the symptoms go.

4. Oil pulling is very helpful for mouth ulcers and for well-being (see http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org...%20pulling.htm)

I used to get lots of infections. By doing the above I've been able to ward off heaps. I believe the gamma globulin infusions I have 4-weekly are also very beneficial.

All the very best!