Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   Transplants (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Anyone had a BMT at Siteman Cancer Center? (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=2324)

Steve Drewry Tue Aug 16, 2011 04:13 PM

Anyone had a BMT at Siteman Cancer Center?

Hey all,
New to the forum...

Has anyone had a BMT at Siteman Cancer Center in St Louis? I am scheduled for 12 Sep 11 for one with an unrelated match. Just trying to find out what to expect. Thanks

tytd Wed Aug 17, 2011 09:35 AM

siteman cancer center

Welcome Steve,
Check out Flamingo Jim's postings on this website from last year and his blog. I believe he had his transplant 1 year ago at Siteman. Can you give us some info about your blood counts and bone marrow results? Just curious as to reason that you are having to progress to transplant. I wish you the best of luck and keep us informed of your journey. Tytd

Neil Cuadra Wed Aug 17, 2011 03:44 PM

Here are some handy links:
Flamingo Jim's user profile page

His transplant thread

His thread about his blog

Steve Drewry Thu Aug 18, 2011 03:53 PM

Neil/Tytd,
I read every word of Flamingo Jim's blog. A lot of great info there. Thanks.

As for me my bone marrow biopsy from Nov 19, 2010 showed macrocytic anemia with dysplastic changes in all three lineages including presense of ringed sideroblasts with 1% blasts.

Tried erythopoietin supplement 1.5 years ago but my levels were already high so it had no effect.

Began RBC transfusions in Jul 2010

Prior to beginning Vidaza,
WBC 2.6, HGB 7.6, HCT 22.8, PLT 211,000

Was receiving 2 units RBCs every 2 weeks.

My last round of Vidaza was 2 weeks ago...after that I went 5 weeks before a transfusion, so it is working.

Doctor figures that with the increasing fatigue and being 44 years old, it is time to go ahead with the transplant. I have remained at work (active duty Air Force) but in a limited capacity.

Thanks for the replies,
Steve

Angie1212 Sun Oct 2, 2011 10:00 AM

Steve,

Wondering how you are doing. My husband is currently at Siteman on day -4. Transplant from MUD is scheduled on 10/6/2011.

Angie

Ruth Cuadra Sun Oct 2, 2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angie1212 (Post 20160)
Wondering how you are doing. My husband is currently at Siteman on day -4. Transplant from MUD is scheduled on 10/6/2011.

Angie,

I think October 6th is a grand day for a transplant. I'll be celebrating my 13th transplant anniversary on that day. And, I'll be celebrating with a friend who was transplanted on the same day. Let us know how your husband progresses. I'm sending best wishes his way.

Regards,
Ruth