Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   looking for help (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=173)

tasmith Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:13 AM

looking for help

Hello, my name is Tasmith diagnosed with Myelodysplastic syndromes Jan 2005. Current ,taking Exjade,Danzol,and transfusions about every 3 weeks.I would like to know if anyone knows if there is an connection between bone marrow disease and benzene cleaning products.I am going next week for consult on bone marrow transplant. Any information willl be greatly appreciated.Thank you

Robi1Knobi Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:36 AM

Benzene products

Hi Tasmith, I stopped using bleach, tide, snuggle, windex, ect, and have started using products that have organic melaleuca (tea tree oil) in them. You can find them online at www.melaleuca.com. I have been washing my clothes in the detergent (use 2 squirts per load) and using the liquid fabric softener. My husband has been using the lotion, and his eczema has cleared up. The products aren't any more expensive than my old products, and some are cheaper. I work with another nurse who told me that Tide had formaldehyde in it, and that snuggle did too, so I quit using them. I just diagnosed with aplastic anemia, so I figure it can't hurt to get rid of all the bad stuff in my house. I also quit using my exterminator, and have switched to one that uses organic killers, but that's more expensive. I read on aplasticcentral.com that english ivy can help get rid of benzene if you cook with gas, I guess keep it next to the stove? Good luck & hope this helps, Linda

Ruth Cuadra Sat Mar 31, 2007 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tasmith
I would like to know if anyone knows if there is an connection between bone marrow disease and benzene cleaning products.
Tasmith,

The exact causes of MDS are unknown, but benzene has been linked to MDS. Patients often have a history of prior chemotherapy treatment, radiation exposure, or exposure to benzene. According to the National Cancer Institute, patients with exposure to toxins such as tobacco smoke, heavy metals, pesticides, petroleum, etc. may constitute as many as 30% of MDS cases.

Do you suspect that your MDS is the result of benzene exposure?

Regards,
Ruth Cuadra

tasmith Sun Apr 1, 2007 03:04 AM

Thank you for your reply

Thank you for your reply.Yes I do think that my MdS was the result of using heavy cleaning products in the 1960,s when I was a jet engine repair person in the miltary.I have done alot of research and found that cleaning procedures have been changed to protect personal from exposure to benzene.So any futher findings would be greatly appreciated.Again I enjoy reading the different stories on this site. Will be looking forward to meeting the many different folks here in Las Vegas {my home} in Aug. Thank you again

Lisa V Tue Apr 3, 2007 07:51 PM

benzene

Tasmith,

Benzene exposure is usually at the top of the list of suspected causes of bone marrow failure diseases, including MDS, AA and leukemia. You can find quite a bit of info on it by searching online. Here is just one article I found:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4065349.stm

It may be hard to prove a cause, but if you know you had long-term exposure to it it certainly seems like a red flag. Are you planning on taking any legal action? Otherwise, knowing the cause doesn't really change much, including the prognosis.

fibogann Wed Apr 4, 2007 07:53 AM

Permissible Exposure Limit to Benzene for Employees -Standards

Hi Tasmith,

You can read information about the Permissible exposure limit to benzene for employees ,to check whether you were excessively exposed or otherwise, and also read about the effects of benzene on your body and about benzene induced cancers.

Once you have done that, you can explore your legal options, and discover the specific steps to follow to file for any legal claims if you feel affected.

Here's a url that you should bookmark and check out for yourself these details I mentioned above.

CLICK TO READ ABOUT BENZENE INDUCED Leukimias

Hope this information is of help to you.

tasmith Mon Apr 16, 2007 01:37 AM

Thank you Peter,I will look at the info you told me about. T.S.

Bobbye A Thu May 24, 2007 10:04 AM

Benzene

Linda,
Are you saying that bleach has benzene and cooking with gas produces benzene? If so I was unaware of this. My sister has gas stove AND bleaches everything that comes into her house, groceries, etc. Everyone is getting sick of the smell of bleach [it used to be such a nice clean smell] Where I worked they used to tell us to clean with bleach that it killed 99.9999 whatever germs including the aides virus. We seem to be at the paranoid stage over this cleaning thing. With NO neutrophils the cleaning thing has become a huge issue. I have noticed that all the literature and everything I see says avoid crouds, sick people and wash hands often[makes perfect sense]. Nowhere have I seen anything about bleaching everything, are we going overboard here or shooting ourselves in the foot by using something detrimental to her [and our] health? Bobbye