Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   Bone Marrow Failure (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Stem cell production and Stemgevity (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=4243)

BigMick Wed May 28, 2014 09:55 PM

Stem cell production and Stemgevity

I have been reading about a product called Stemgevity which is claimed to increase stem cell production from the bone marrow. Just curious to know if any others have had any experience with this product

Neil Cuadra Thu May 29, 2014 12:56 AM

I haven't seen any independent medical review of this product. It's heavily publicized and promoted by those who sell it, which tell us basically nothing.

The doctor behind Stemgevity got a bad review here, while his rebuttal is here.

Chirley Thu May 29, 2014 01:58 AM

Hi Neil, I'm not familiar with DO after a doctors name. Can you tell me, is it a medical doctor?

Thanks.

Marlene Thu May 29, 2014 09:02 AM

I've no experience with it but it's pretty expensive for a supplement. The only ingredient I'm not familiar with is the deer antler which is used a lot in chinese medicine. It's an herb that supports tissue regeneration.
Here's some info on deer antler:
http://www.dragonherbs.com/prodinfo.asp?number=006

All the ingredients are pretty common vitamins or minerals or herbs. So I can see how this supplement can be helpful for some.

Neil Cuadra Thu May 29, 2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chirley (Post 33939)
Hi Neil, I'm not familiar with DO after a doctors name. Can you tell me, is it a medical doctor?

Thanks.

D.O. means Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, which is an advanced degree in a medical speciality.

sbk007 Thu May 29, 2014 12:43 PM

M.D. vs D.O.

When one decides to become a doctor, there are actually two ways to achieve the title of doctor and practice medicine. One can become a medical doctor (MD) or a doctor of osteopathy (DO). Both licenses allow one to practice medicine and have equally rigorous testing. The differences between an MD and a DO lie primarily in philosophy on how to practice medicine.
Both MDs and DOs tend to begin training by getting a four-year undergraduate degree, either in pre-med, or in a related science field. Each type of doctor will then complete four years of training before taking examinations that will result in licensure. Either type of doctor may then choose to specialize in a particular field and study for two to six more years. The doctor who specializes will then take further examinations to be licensed by the board of his or her specialty.

In most cases, the four years of medical school are quite similar. However the DO receives training in the muscular and skeletal system, and also in muscular and skeletal manipulation. A doctor who is a DO tends to evaluate a person’s health in terms of viewing the body as a complex related network. Any disease affects the whole body. The MD, conversely, may evaluate the disease in terms of how it affects certain parts of the body only.

Chirley Thu May 29, 2014 06:56 PM

I'm pretty sure we don't have that category of doctor in Australia. I think either you are a medical doctor or you're not. I know that we have licensed Chinese Medicine Practitioners who aren't recognised as medical doctors here and Chiropractors etc. so a DO is more holistic? Why would you go to an MD?......sounds pretty good.

Cheryl C Thu May 29, 2014 08:40 PM

We have plenty of Osteopaths in Australia. I went to an excellent one near Sydney after I was hit by a cyclist riding flat out on the footpath. I had been having physio and felt its effectiveness had ceased. The osteopath fixed my sciatica and did wonders for my shoulder. Their treatments are more gentle than chiropractic.

Chirley Fri May 30, 2014 12:41 AM

Thanks Cheryl. I just looked up my health insurance and it pays for alternative therapies. I might just give it a go and see if my tight muscles can be loosened.

Birgitta-A Fri May 30, 2014 05:25 AM

Osteopaths

Hi,
I don't think we have osteopaths in Sweden - I will google that issue because I have problems with thumb artrosis - too much working at the pc - my neck, my back (since 50 years) and plantar faschitis in my left foot. I am afraid of chiropractic treatment because I have friends who got more problems for example with their neck after that kind of treatment.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A

Cheryl C Fri May 30, 2014 05:36 AM

Osteopaths use techniques like stretching and massage - great for muscle tightness, Chirley. I highly recommend it. Birgitta - my shoulder problems also stemmed from too many of years working on computers.

Birgitta-A Fri May 30, 2014 01:24 PM

Osteopaths

Hi,
When I googled osteopaths I found that we have 38 osteopaths in Stockholm - I will contact one of them next week. Thank you Cheryl for the info!
Kind regards
Birgitta-A

curlygirl Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:11 AM

As a teen my doctor was a D.O. and she was awesome! She would test for things that other doctors wouldn't even think to test for!

Mainly, whether your doctor is an MD or DO, they can both be good or bad. If you feel good about your care, stay with the person. If not, move on.

Birgitta-A Sat Jun 14, 2014 06:16 AM

Osteopaths

Hi,
Now I have got one treatment at a very nice osteopath - I will try 6 treatments before I decide if I will continue.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A

Marlene Sun Jun 15, 2014 08:20 AM

Thanks for the update Brigatta-A. I am interested in how this goes for you. I am considering going to a DO for some neck and shoulder tension issues so this is timely.

Birgitta-A Sun Jun 15, 2014 01:18 PM

Osteopath

Hi Marlene,
Yes I will - next session is 18 June.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A