Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   Transfusions and Iron Overload (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   New: Platelets from different blood type (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=410)

Jennifer2007 Fri Dec 21, 2007 01:51 PM

New: Platelets from different blood type

Hello,

My father has been recently diagnosed with MDS. His platelets were at 13 and when he went in for a platelet transfusion they did not have his blood type (O neg). Instead they had to give him O positive.

I can't find any information on whether this is dangerous or not; has this happened to anyone else?

I am in information overload and each new thing is hard to digest.

Anybody's assistance is appreciated.

Jennifer

Maddie C Fri Dec 21, 2007 01:58 PM

Hi Jen, I read an article in the paper earlier this year that they found a way to make all blood types compatible for people in need. I hope this helps.
Maddie c

Ruth Cuadra Fri Dec 21, 2007 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer2007 (Post 6716)
My father has been recently diagnosed with MDS. His platelets were at 13 and when he went in for a platelet transfusion they did not have his blood type (O neg). Instead they had to give him O positive.

Hi, Jennifer.

Welcome to Marrowforums. Your father is lucky to have you out looking for information and trying to understand the complexities of dealing with MDS. I'm sure you'll be able to get some understandable answers to your questions here.

In answer to your question about platelet transfusions, it is less important to have a blood-type match for platelets than it is for red cell transfusions where it is essential. But patients who will be receiving many transfusions (as MDS patients often do) should get only leukocyte-filtered platelets. This helps to reduce the chances of the patient becoming "refractory" to platelets, which can happen after only a few or many transfusions. When you are refractory to platelets it means that the platelets you get via transfusion are ineffective or ignored by the body.

Your father is not in danger from single transfusion of O neg platelets, but be sure that his doctor always orders leukocyte-filtered platelets and that the blood bank where he gets his transfusions knows this is a requirement for him.

Let us know what other questions you have as they come up. We're here to help.

Regards,
Ruth

Marlene Fri Dec 21, 2007 04:39 PM

Blood typing

refers to the surface proteins on Red blood cells. They do the cross and match for the red cell transfusions. John is O positive and he's had many platelet transfusion from A, B and AB donors. Some seem to get a better bump from platelets that match their own type. This was never the case for John.

Marlene

Wendy Beltrami Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:19 PM

Hi Jennifer,

My son Grant is type Oneg and he quite often gets Opos platelets. The Rh factor doesn't seem to make any difference at all for him. However, type A platelets do absolutely nothing. He got them only once and they did not increase his platelet count at all so from that point on, he always gets type O. I believe that is quite common with Type O patients.

Wendy/mom to Grant
dx AA 12/4/98

Jennifer2007 Tue Jan 1, 2008 10:39 PM

Thank you

This site is a wealth of information for individuals like myself attempting to learn more about this condition.

I very much appreciate all of the assistance; thank you so much.

Jennifer