Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Bone Marrow Biopsy Fear (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=3208)

kball00 Wed Oct 10, 2012 09:15 PM

Bone Marrow Biopsy Fear

My hematologist wants me to have a bone marrow biopsy because my white blood cell and platlet count are very low. He does not offer any type of twilight sedation for the procedure. Does anyone no a hematologist in Arkansas or Oklahoma that offers some sort of twilight sedation because this procedure scares the heck out of me.

cdseibold Thu Oct 11, 2012 03:43 PM

Scared...understand

Yep, I know the feeling. A tooth extraction without novocaine sounded more fun.

So when it finally happened. Twice in Sept. It didn't seem that bad.

Do I have any advise? Sure. I played calming relaxing music on my ipod throughout both proceedures....the staff didn't mind at all.

I kept my eyes open and focused outside my body. If you have ever done relaxation exercises, they can help. Finally I used the training I had from natural childbirth classes. Which is somewhat of a relax and let go philosophy.

So I hope it goes well for you. SEnding good thoughts.

Chirley Thu Oct 11, 2012 06:48 PM

Some people find them very painful and others don't have much pain at all. I think there are different factors coming into play including the technique of the person doing the BMB, the site of the BMB, the pain tolerance and the degree of anxiety.

I didn't like the BMB without sedation but they weren't as painful as you are probably imagining. Relaxation and visualization (kind of like self hypnosis) worked for me. I would visual myself lying in the grass on the side of a lake under the shade of a willow tree and then imagine the sights and sounds there would be. I would imagine a birds call and then try to visual what the bird looked like, then I would watch imaginary dragonflies on the water etc. If the BMB starting hurting I would turn that into part of my daydream and make it seem as if I was being stung by a bee or I was lying on a stick etc.

Sometimes I would be so involved in my daydream that I would get a fright when I realized where I was and what was happening :D

Hope this helps.

Regards

Chirley

Lori Patrick Sun Oct 14, 2012 09:28 PM

I have had several biopsies and they are not that bad. There is a BRIEF period of pain but is very quick. I took adivan and/or lorazepam to calm my nerves before each. I think the anxiety is the worst part of it. Most Docs will give you a light sedative to take that morning. (My hospital does anyway.) You will be ok! Hugs..