Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   Transplants (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Doing Ok... (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=5519)

PaulS Fri Oct 7, 2016 12:24 PM

Doing Ok...

Hi - Thanks everyone for your thoughts, prayers and concern. I'm still here!

I entered the hospital about a week before schedule with a fever and abdominal pains. Many bagfuls of antibiotics later the infection cleared up and I was able to get back on transplant schedule - my brother donated 10million stem cells (he was unable to donate last time due to coronary issues) - and the transplant went off as planned on Monday - it was nice for many reasons that he was able to donate this time.

I had a reaction to one of the antibiotics and am left with very red, sometimes painful legs - along with edema probably associated with chemo - so i'm a bit uncomfortable, but so far still very much alive.

I really appreciate everyones concern - hopefully my legion of new stem cells will engraft quickly and I'll get back on track. Relapsing is definitely humbling and generally to be avoided.

Thanks again.

p.

bailie Fri Oct 7, 2016 02:14 PM

Thank you for the update Paul. It is interesting that so many of us understand exactly what you are experiencing at this time. It is hard to offer much more than you already know so hunker down and ride this out the best you can. I hope they caretakers can keep you comfortable and help you get as much sleep as possible.

Cheryl C Sat Oct 8, 2016 09:38 PM

It's great to hear from you, Paul. I've been checking almost every day since 21 Sep to see if there's news from you. I'm sorry to hear that you've had a rough time and hope that very soon you will experience full engraftment and be feeling much better.

lisa3112 Mon Oct 10, 2016 01:35 AM

Fingers crossed for a speedy and full recovery. Its great you still have the energy to keep people updated :-)

GoodDay5150 Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:51 AM

Hi Paul. Before having my transplant I spoke to a friend of a family member who had recently gone through a transplant for MDS, and he also had some complications along the way. No fun. My experience has mostly been good, but I still have some lingering GVHD, and I still have a few other issues. The whole transplant process is not an easy thing for anyone, and we are all wishing you a fast recovery.

Mario

Debbie W Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:42 AM

You can do this ...

assume you are on the 8th floor at Sloan, although last time they were opening up another floor for transplants, but that does not matter.

Stay engaged and focus, or maybe not focus, on the next hour, use whatever drugs you need to get through the day. Or let your caregiver handle things, that is our role. Ativan was a nightly ritual, helped with sleep and also helped with eating, a few bites does help.

Just heal and take a step forward!