Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   MDS (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   BM Biopsy question (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=5708)

Bossywife Mon Apr 3, 2017 06:54 AM

BM Biopsy question

My husband needs to go to Vancouver for a Bone Marrow Biopsy (for a Myeloid Gene Panel).

It means he will be having the biopsy Wednesday morning and taking a bus home on Thursday morning (it is a 12 hour bus ride).

Does this seem doable? Do you think that I should travel with him? Could there be complications the day of the procedure?

He is taking the bus because it is a government bus that takes people who live in Northern BC to Vancouver, and it's super cheap.

Thanks in advance.

lisa3112 Mon Apr 3, 2017 08:17 AM

Hi, personally I doubt there will be any issues at all in terms of the biopsy. I've had quite a few and he will be up and walking normally in less then 2 hours. A 12 hour bus ride sounds hard for anyone though, but you do what you have to! Hope he has a good book! Good luck with results!

bailie Mon Apr 3, 2017 11:02 AM

I just had my 20th BMB this last week. As we realize everyone is different but I have had zero problems with any of them. They have me continue lying down for 15 minutes following the procedure and then I hop off the table and walk out. I have golfed on the next day on occasion. They do stipulate that I can't drive for eight hours because of the Fentanyl 50 mcg IV that they give me.

The next day after the procedure the feeling is a very minor bruise which for me is almost undetectable for any discomfort. We wish him the best!!

Neil Cuadra Mon Apr 3, 2017 01:53 PM

Complications from bone marrow biopsies are rare. Soreness and grogginess and more common than anything serious.

I think there's a strong change that it will be uneventful and that your help won't be needed. But that leaves a small chance that you could help with something that comes up unexpectedly. Since it's not a big expense, and if it wouldn't be a big inconvenience, then I suggest that you go along just in case.

Dick S Mon Apr 3, 2017 05:50 PM

I've had all of mine without sedation, just a local at the insertion sight. I usually just clothe up afterward and go home, which, by the way, is a 2 1/2 hour drive for me. Never had a problem.

Sally C Mon Apr 3, 2017 10:36 PM

Hi Bossywife,
As the wife of someone who has had numerous bone marrow biopsies - only one was a problem as he passed out in a restaurant from dehydration. Having said that, I would never let him go through one without my being there. Were the tables turned, I know I would want him there - and he would be there.
Best wishes,
Sally

Deborah52 Wed Apr 5, 2017 03:35 PM

I'm with Sally

I'm with Sally. 12 hours is a long bus ride. Having a little help could go a long way if there were complications.

bailie Wed Apr 5, 2017 08:54 PM

I think two people would make a better trip. I had two BMBs (one on each hip) about four hours ago. They didn't want me driving (and I knew it going in) so it was important that my wife was with me.