Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   Transfusions and Iron Overload (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   platelet transfusions (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=116)

kvichi Wed Jan 3, 2007 07:11 PM

platelet transfusions

Hi everyone,
When my father went in for his 2nd round of Vidaza, he was told his platelets were too low to give the treatment so instead he received a platelet transfusion. His platelets were at 10. I thought I had read somewhere that platelet transfusions don't last long and can only be given a few times before they become obsolete. Is this right? Does anyone have insight into this?

thanks,

Kim

Wendy Beltrami Wed Jan 3, 2007 11:32 PM

Kim,
The concern with platelet transfusions is that the patient will become allo-immunized or refractory to them. Meaning that the patient will no longer gain any benefit from transfusions. This could obviously be very dangerous if the patient could not gain any benefit from a platelet transfusion if they were having serious bleeding.

Requesting single donor platelets bags rather than pooled donors helps to minimize this risk since you are exposing yourself to fewer donors.

I understand that some people become allo immunized quickly and some are lucky enough to endure many platelet transfusions without becoming refractory. My son has had 32 units. So far, so good.

Wendy/mom to Grant
dx 12/4/98 AA

Steve Kessler Thu Jan 4, 2007 10:49 PM

Platelet lifetime

My doc said the same thing and I posted his opinion, Several people responded that they had been receiving platelets for extended times with no dimiuttion of efficacy. Evidently, some people buid up antibodies quickly while others don't.

Bruce Lande Fri Jan 5, 2007 07:51 AM

Platelets duration and risk

Transfused platelets usuallly only last 2-3 days (I think I may have gone 5-6 days at best when I was platelet transfusion dependent) and must be used within 5 days of being drawn (RBC's can be stored for 42 days). According to an AAMDS article I found, "the immune system can eventually learn to recognize and destroy transfused platelets."

Marlene Fri Jan 5, 2007 09:46 AM

John had so many platelet transfusions over 20 months that I lost count. He had well over 200 and never became refractory. But towards the end, as his immune system improve, he was getting hives more often even with pre-meds.

Marlene

george peveto Fri Jan 5, 2007 10:33 PM

there is some benefit to receiving irradiated platelets I believe that radiating the platelets prevent problems in the future you may want to research that to determine if you want to ask your doctor to provide you with irradiated platelets I think it has to do with less problems when and if you do receive a transplant and may also be helpful with reaction to platelets from several donors