Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   MDS (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Port or PICC (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=5994)

Barb Thu Feb 22, 2018 09:07 AM

Port or PICC

I am at the place where I need to make a decision about a port or PICC line. I am actually halfway through my first round of decitabine (Dacogen). The nurses doing my chemo are talking to my medical team about getting this done while my platelets aredecent (80 at last count).

I am curious about other's preferences. I am leaning towards a port as it is less work for me, even though it is more invasive to put in. I understand it can stay in longer also.

DanL Thu Feb 22, 2018 09:45 AM

Barb,

I have had both, and found PICC lines uncomfortable and inconvenient due to the placement, and I could always feel it there. The port is generally more comfortable and placed in a way so that it does not interfere with most activities, from the basics of taking a shower, sleeping, giving a hug, to exercising and cooking.

My general preference would be the port. I had one installed with only 25k platelets. It bled a little, but not enough to worry me or the doctors.

Sally C Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:22 AM

Hi Barb,
My husband has had both also. The PICC line requires constant maintenance and is at great risk for infection - and also very inconvenient. Don had his port in for many years and it never caused any problems whatsoever.
Best wishes,
Sally

Grateful1 Thu Feb 22, 2018 01:18 PM

Hi Barb,

When I was first diagnosed with MDS (5q-), accessing my very small veins for the many blood tests and subsequent RBC transfusions was very difficult and painful. Early on it was recommended that I consider getting a port and it really made these procedures so much easier. I’ve had it for a little over ten years now with no problems. :)

Cheryl C Thu Feb 22, 2018 08:11 PM

I'm glad you raised this topic, Barb, because I'm considering this too. Being a fairly slim person, my veins tend to "roll" and are now also getting rather scarred (causing frequent blow-outs) after more than 6 years of infusions and blood tests.

Barb Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:30 PM

Thank you all for the input. It seems unanimous that a port is preferred by more people. I'm going to really push for them to put one in before my next round of chemo. They wanted me to leave my IV in for up to 3 days but I found it to be problematic and limiting to me so I have been having them take it out daily. Two more sticks then I'll be done for 18 days, other than any needed transfusions.

lisa3112 Sat Feb 24, 2018 05:54 AM

I actually preferred a PICC. I had a Hickman line in, I hated the dressing changes, it really hurt my skin.. If you are possibly having a stem cell transplant the port is better, mainly because its quicker access to bigger veins.
PICCs can also block off. Ultimately both do a way better job then little old IV cannulas. Good luck!