Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   MDS (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Paul S Passed away this morning (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=5588)

Data Tue Dec 20, 2016 08:46 PM

Paul S Passed away this morning

I have kept in touch with Paul S via this forum, e-mail, and phone. I spoke to Paul's wife this evening and I am sad to pass on that Paul passed away this morning. I don't know many details at this point but his wife said she would e-mail me in a day or two and asked me to post the e-mail. I will certainly do that. I am sure we will all miss Paul's posts and insight into MDS.

Data

Neil Cuadra Tue Dec 20, 2016 09:27 PM

PaulS was a well-liked member of these forums. He cared about what happened to other patients, and we cared about him. He was always polite and helpful.

He had MDS since 2012, originally considered low-risk. What a shame that Vidaza and then a transplant couldn't put him in remission. I believe he was 57.

I'm especially sad that Paul didn't get to go on the Colorado ski trip or California hike that he talked about. Those goals and life adventures are what we all strive for, and being sick focuses you even more on what you want to accomplish.

My wife and I offer our condolences to Paul's family.

Thank you Data for being Paul's friend and letting us know about losing him.

VAK Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:25 AM

Shocked me. We lost a very good man who I think lived for us. I with my family offer our condolences to Paul's family.
Much has been done in the field of blood malignancies & BMT.
But still to do too much. I think the world should give up to think about the dominating warheads.
But we, with our Doctors, Medical Researchers, Geneticist should begin to think on war levels that is the BMT only way to cure MDS ?
And if the BMT is the only way; then how this procedure be simplified to become successful & cheaper. How the mortality rate can be brought down during & after the BMT. We hear, read about the Gene Therapy, Targeted Therapy, Immuno Therapy etc. Why no one is emerging as the key treatment for MDS & other types of blood cancers ?
I pray before the Allah for the goodness of all the people who are endeavoring to help all the patients like Paul and us.

Thank Data, Neil and forum

From,
VAK

bailie Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:12 AM

This is very sad news. We have discussed Paul often and have been hoping that no news was good news. I feel a deep loss for his family and all of us. ... he was one of us. He was so encouraging and that is something we all need. I'm sorry and I realize those words are not enough.

italianburrito Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:33 AM

So sad to hear the news.. awful disease that I hope will have a better cure rate in the very near future:(

Data Wed Dec 21, 2016 05:34 PM

Obituary for Paul

I haven't heard back from Paul's wife but Paul's obituary can be seen here:

http://www.copelandfhnp.com/obituari...rg/#!/Obituary

There is a option to leave a comment.

Data

bailie Wed Dec 21, 2016 06:21 PM

Thank you Data, and thank you for keeping in contact with Paul.

DanL Thu Dec 22, 2016 04:26 AM

I am very sad to hear of Paul's passing. Thank you for the update.

Mseth Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:30 AM

Very sad news. Sincere condolences to his family.

bebop Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:45 PM

My deepest sympathies to the family and friends here at the forums. I really sad time for everyone.

Data Sat Dec 24, 2016 02:54 PM

From Paul's Wife

I received the following from Paul's wife:

It is with great sadness that I am writing to let you know that Paul passed away on December 20th. While the results of his 2nd bone marrow transplant were encouraging, he had an extreme reaction to a medication ( most likely an antibiotic), that led to a cascade of serious complications. Paul got a tremendous amount of information and support from this forum and cared deeply about its members. He will be missed by so many. My prayers are with you all for good health ahead. Ellen S.

Data

Cheryl C Sun Dec 25, 2016 05:47 AM

Sad news. Paul was courageous and positive always. I will miss his posts. My deep sympathy to his wife and family.