Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   AA (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Kidneys and colds (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=2513)

Ryan Jay Mon Nov 14, 2011 01:22 PM

Kidneys and colds

Hey everyone,

Quick question for you. I just fought off a cold last week, and I had some really wacky counts. My HGB was running at about 10.8 when it usually hovers around the low to mid 12s, and my WBCs were up around "6" when they usually settle in the mid 4s. Plts were steady as usual.

Anyway, I know this can happen during a cold, but can your kidneys also be affected? My creatinine shot up to the point where they decided to lower my cyclosporine a smidge. My kidneys also went kooky back in December too, when I had a really nasty cold....and then they seemed to settle down.

Any thoughts?

Robi1Knobi Mon Nov 14, 2011 04:09 PM

elderberry

Hi Ryan,

Have you looked at the research on elderberry & its ability to fight colds/flu? I take it in the form of Juice Plus, but you can also buy elderberry jam, Sambucal (syrup you can get from a natural grocer), and elderberry wine (so I've heard!). Good luck & hope you stay healthy from now on :o). Linda

Marlene Tue Nov 15, 2011 07:41 AM

Were you drinking enough fluids? You really have to up the intake of fluids when you have a cold.

I'm a fan of elderberry also. That, coupled with vitamin c and zinc can go a long way to shortening a cold.

Lbrown Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:49 AM

Yes. Clearing dead pathogens puts a strain on the kidneys. This happens to me. I am currently only on exjade (ie no cyclo or tacro or anything else that might affect the kidneys).

One week my creatinine went up to 186 when I felt I was fighting something, then 2 weeks later it was back to 93. Mine always seems to go up when I feel like I am fighting a cold.

Drinking more water might help, of course I never remember either.

Deb

Susan Sun Jan 1, 2012 04:40 AM

Agree with Marlene

I have AA and PNH and had food poisoning 2 years ago, taking my GFR down to 15. Was lucky to avoid dialysis. Had massive hemolysis from the infection and fever. Anyway was given IV fluids plus drank as much liquid as possible inpatient for 8 days. GFR and creatinine gradually rose to nearly normal.

I get a renal panel every 2 weeks. I definitely notice if I'm not drinking enough fluids ( coffee doesn't count:-)) my GFR falls, sometimes to 46. Creatinine goes up a bit, not bad.

Kidney issues are my main cercern if and when I do ATG/cyclo. I just hope I'm not kicked off of treatment mid way from kidney damage. I did read somewhere about meds that can be taken to help prevent damage, eg, worsing Chronic Kidney Disease. Will be researching cyclo and kidney issues before treatment. Counts still not too bad for now.

Susan Sun Jan 1, 2012 04:45 AM

Infection

To my knowledge my kidney function only went down with a fever (100.9) and chest infection recently due to PNH hemolysis, a strain on the kidneys.
So I think it's fluid intake, not the infection itself. May be other reasons I'm not aware of since I haven't done cyclo yet and don't know all the ins and outs of it.