Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   When we need blood transfusion (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=4321)

jinsjohn Tue Jul 22, 2014 07:12 AM

When we need blood transfusion

When an AML patient need blood transfusion.
Please share the HB count for blood transfusion

Whizbang Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:57 AM

jinsjohn,

From my experience, a pint of blood will usually increase my HGB 1 point on average, that is when I am not on chemo...

That is to say Day 1 I'll have a 6.5 HGB, receive a pint and Day 2 I will have a 7.5 HGB... My body has been quite destructive to my RBC's especially during chemo, and on some days, I might see the same number or slightly higher, i.e. 6.6 HGB on Day 2 even after a transfusion... Sometimes my Bone Marrow decides to kick in (even during chemo), and under the first case scenario, I'll see Day 1 - 6.5 HGB, transfusion, then Day 2 - 7.5 HGB, and Day 3 - 8.0 HGB with no transfusion...

Everyone reacts different to transfusions, and it's possible to hold on to a pint for days or even weeks if everything else is at a stand still...

Hope this helps, All the Best, and may God Bless us ALL!!!

Mseth Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:21 PM

Jinsjohn,

In India, the normal cutoff for transfusion is 7, unless a surgery or other procedure is planned. 1 unit of pRBC should raise the Hb by 1 point. You can request a transfusion at a higher Hb if the patient is feeling weak etc. Most docs will agree.

All the best!!

jinsjohn Thu Jul 24, 2014 05:58 AM

thanks for all your replys...

usaf1125 Thu Jul 24, 2014 03:18 PM

transfusions

The only thing I pay attention to is my CRT level. Above 29 I'm OK, below 29 to 28 2 units PRC, below 28, 3 units. 3 units are rare. Was going every 2 to 3 weeks for CBC, and getting blood every 2 or 3 weeks. Starting Sept. 2013, I started going 6,7.8,9 weeks between infusions. My Dr. has no explanation, he calls me the miracle man

Mseth Fri Jul 25, 2014 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usaf1125 (Post 34564)
The only thing I pay attention to is my CRT

USAF1125, What exactly is CRT? My mothers doctor looks at the Hb to decide number of units, around 7, she gets 2 units.
Your increasing transfusion intervals seem nothing short of a miracle. Many more such miracles to you!!

usaf1125 Fri Jul 25, 2014 07:38 PM

transfusions

CRT stands for Hematocrit, not sure what it means, but it regulates when I need blood. It's the only number I pay attention to. Any other numbers would make me think about the MDS, and that I will not do. I don't get concerned about anything, worrying will never cure anything or stop anything. Live life to the fullest, enjoy every day. Get out and smell the roses:)

Mseth Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:01 AM

Hematocrit

Thanks for the reply usaf1125.

As per my understanding, Hemoglobin is approx Hematocrit/3.

Stay well!!

usaf1125 Sat Jul 26, 2014 04:49 PM

need for blood

:)I'm sorry I didn't mention the Hemoglobin, the need for blood is set by the 2 of them.I don't do anything, about the Iron overload, I'm always off the chart. My Dr. sais I am a most unusual man.

Fuller Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usaf1125 (Post 34573)
CRT stands for Hematocrit, not sure what it means, but it regulates when I need blood. It's the only number I pay attention to. Any other numbers would make me think about the MDS, and that I will not do. I don't get concerned about anything, worrying will never cure anything or stop anything. Live life to the fullest, enjoy every day. Get out and smell the roses:)

Hematocrit is usually 3x HGB. So HGB at 8, CRT should be in the area of 24. My HGB threshold for 2 'bags o blood' is 9. Used to be 8. But as I age and the MDS has progressed to AML the threshold has been raised. I am 2 bags every week for the past year. Originally diagnosed MDS 5 years ago this month, symptoms first started 6 yrs ago this month. Progress to AML between May and Sept this year. Bone marrow blasts at 8, blood blasts at 52.