Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   MDS (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Induction therapy and probable BMT (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=5959)

Barb Fri Feb 2, 2018 11:04 PM

Induction therapy and probable BMT

I saw the hemo at the James today. Tuesday I get another BMB. Then Thursday I am admitted for 7+3 induction chemo. He expects I will end up with a transplant. It has all gone so fast from stable 5q- to AML. My head is spinning and my emotions are all over the place. I am trying to get my affairs in order, deal with work, finances, insurance. It feels like so much. Then there is the month in the hospital thing that feels overwhelming in itself. I am trying to plan ahead while just being in the moment. For now I want to just sleep.

DanL Sat Feb 3, 2018 12:34 AM

Barb,

Wanting to take a reprieve from a series of bad news, especially when it is unexpected is natural. Give yourself a day or two to reset your mind and body, then come out fighting, ready to beat this disease that has had several years to get to this point. Know that now it is your turn to win. It is only with hardship and difficulty that you forge great strength, the kind that you did not know you had before.

It is definitely important to get your affairs in order, from making sure that your finances are set, to taking care of pets, getting help with your care, etc. The most important piece is to take care of yourself and make sure that you are healthy and ready in all aspects of what is ahead.

From experience, the month in the hospital goes quickly. You are in a cocoon of sorts, with room service, maid service, personal trainers (physical therapy), a series of best friends (rotating nurses and doctors) and then of course your family and friends that choose to come. You become the most popular person you know for that time. It is the time after the hospital that you will want to coordinate as you will probably want more assistance than you currently expect. I know that I would not have been able to get through without the assistance of my father-in-law.

At this risk of this being too long - ask for help, and know that it may have to enter parts of your life that you haven't asked for it before - paying bills, getting rides, cooking meals, cleaning the house, etc. That was the hard part for me, because I have always done those things for myself, so I had to swallow some pride to even accept help when offered. Hopefully you are not as prideful and stubborn as me :)

Dan

Barb Sat Feb 3, 2018 09:28 PM

Thanks Dan. Those are good words to hold onto. I am pretty darn prideful and stubborn. God is using this to break that down in me. I am trying to take one day at a time. Tomorrow I start packing for the hospital. Monday and Wednesday are for getting things in order at work, including gooodbyes to clients and coworkers. Tuesday I will get to talk to the social worker at The James about long term options financially. And Thursday I start my stay at Club James.

lisa3112 Tue Feb 6, 2018 07:46 AM

Good luck Barb! Walk when you can. Rest some of the day. And just keep eating! You will smash it.

Barb Tue Feb 6, 2018 09:27 PM

I had my pre admission BMB at the James today. Being there today, seeing the still wonky cbc/differential, and knowing that in 2 days I will be moving in for a month just made it all too real. I would have cried except I was too sick from the meds they gave me for the BMB. Tomorrow I get to see my coworkers and clients a final time at work. I am grateful to have had a week from dx to admission. There are many other things I wish I could have done, but I could have been in a position to get nothing done. Thank you for your support.

Hopeful Wed Feb 7, 2018 09:56 AM

Good Luck Barb! You have a lot of people here rooting for you!

Meri T. Wed Feb 7, 2018 04:21 PM

Barb,
You sound like a quiet and strong person. Rooting for you from the start.
My prayers for your smooth sailing. I will be following your posts.
Meri