Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   MDS (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What is importance of day 100 ? (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=3861)

vickij Tue Oct 1, 2013 02:30 PM

What is importance of day 100 ?

I see transplant patients celebrating day 100, but I didn't know why it was important. Tomorrow is my day 100 for my stem cell transplant.

mausmish Tue Oct 1, 2013 02:44 PM

It's a somewhat arbitrary number, like day 100 of kindergarten :-). However, statistically speaking, doctors are able to predict typical recovery timelines based on observations of patients over time. For example, post transplant complications are statistically less frequent after the first 100 days. My doctors actually mark day 60 as the milestone. Also, graft versus host disease (GvHD) occurring in the first 100 days is generally acute, while anything after is usually chronic. The two varieties of GvHD involve different subsets of immune cells. Congratulations on day 100!

Whizbang Tue Oct 1, 2013 03:29 PM

Congratulations!!!

The real question is how are you feeling??? (great I would hope...) :)

susanML Wed Oct 2, 2013 07:39 AM

day 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by vickij (Post 30644)
I see transplant patients celebrating day 100, but I didn't know why it was important. Tomorrow is my day 100 for my stem cell transplant.

Congratulations on day 100-- I believe like someone said - if you make it to day 100 without complications - you are on your way. (?) Best wishes to you

Darice Thu Oct 3, 2013 01:13 PM

Day 1970

Congratulations on Day 100! It is a milestone to celebrate. My husband is celebrating Day 1970 today from his stem cell transplant. This transplant was auto and to cure the NHL . . . it also served to set him up for the tMDS, but I guess we would have to say that without the transplant he probably wouldn't still be here 1970 days later, so it's all to the good. More or less.

We have been in the blood cancer fight for over 12 years now, and a big part of what keeps us going is positive attitude. We celebrate things. We celebrate Mondays (we got married on a Monday), we celebrate the sun rising . . . and setting . . . and we celebrate Day 1970. And Day 1971. And Day 1972. And being here to continue putting one foot in front of the other, one day after the other.

Sometimes we have had to stretch to find something to celebrate . . . but we find it and we celebrate it. Today, we will celebrate your Day 100 . . . or I guess today it's Day 102 we're celebrating with you. Enjoy!

mausmish Fri Oct 4, 2013 01:23 AM

Darice, I'm day 1039, and we do the same sort of celebrating as you. :)

susanML Fri Oct 4, 2013 06:32 AM

To all

Happy Days to All - wishing much happiness and success in your lives.

4bcsboys Mon Oct 21, 2013 08:36 PM

congratulations!

While I've not been on for awhile, I have thought of you and prayed that you were doing well too. You are one day older than me! :)

I guess I got a little shaky about getting on the forum because of the two gentlemen who posted on the forum passed soon after I got home. They had wonderful attitudes and said they didn't regret transplantation.

A favorite phrase on harder days: This journey isn't for wimps. Luckily neither of us are. :)

vickij Tue Oct 22, 2013 01:08 PM

4bcsboys

I was glad to hear from you. I have been wondering how you are doing and praying for you. I don't know if I will ever get my energy back. They talk about the new normal, I'm not sure what that means, but I think it means that we will never be like we were before.
You are right, this journey is not for wimps.

mausmish Wed Oct 23, 2013 05:48 PM

Vicki,

You are still an infant in transplant time. With more tine, you should feel stronger and less tired. It happens gradually.

You're doing great!

Karen