Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   MDS (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Looking for advices for my Dad (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=4102)

nobita Fri Feb 21, 2014 09:42 PM

Looking for advices for my Dad

Hi All,

I'm wondering anybody can give me any advice here about my dad's situation. I have almost all medical exam results, hope it's enough.

He was diagnosed as AA about 2 years ago. The platelet was only 18. Since then he has been put on Cyclosporine and some kind of Androgen and red cells . Recent CBC shows that everything goes to normal level, except neutrophil is a little bit low (1.6) and platelet is still only about 60. I do consider this as good news.

So a few questions:
1. Though diagnosed as AA, the BMB at that time (2 years ago) showed that he got 1% myelocyte (is this the right name ? ) in the blood, and red cell sizes were slightly different. Luckily no blast cells were found. Could this be MDS ? Or it's just a normal thing due to AA.
2. Now the red cells are normal, but he sometimes feels really tired and need to rest for a few days. This is rare, but may happen every other month. Any explanation ?

Please let me know if any term is wrongly used. My dad is in China and all diagnosis results are in Chinese. Sorry about this. Would appreciate any help and advice.

Thank you, and good luck to all.
Nathan

sbk007 Sat Feb 22, 2014 01:13 PM

Needing rest could be a lot of different things. A flu, a cold, depression, overworking, or something else. Doesn't always mean its low hemoglobin.
Your Dads BMB from 2 years ago showed no blasts which should mean no MDS.

nobita Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbk007 (Post 32880)
Needing rest could be a lot of different things. A flu, a cold, depression, overworking, or something else. Doesn't always mean its low hemoglobin.
Your Dads BMB from 2 years ago showed no blasts which should mean no MDS.

Thank you for your reply. That is really good news. I'm wondering when we say "blasts" here in this forum, does it refer to those cells only at the very first stage ? Is myelocyte also considered as blasts ? Thank you.

sbk007 Sun Feb 23, 2014 09:36 AM

The myelocyte is an immature White Blood Cell. They are found in the Bone marrow but should not be present in peripheral blood. I don't know if they call these blasts. The blasts you see in posts here refer to an overproduction of abnormal myeloblasts. These cells are unable to develop further into mature white blood cells. Hope that helps.

nobita Sun Feb 23, 2014 06:12 PM

I don't think he has abnormal cells in blood. kinda relieved now. :) Hope someday he can be fully recovered.

Thank you very much