Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   Drugs and Drug Treatments (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Cyclosporine blood level peak (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=2074)

edithr Wed Apr 13, 2011 06:28 AM

Cyclosporine blood level peak

If you get your blood taken 45 min to an hour after you take your Cyclosporine, has it ever peaked to 1870? Does that sound like an extremely high peak to you?

Sally C Wed Apr 13, 2011 08:11 AM

Cyclosporine blood level peak

Hi EdithR,
When my husband was on Cyclosporine he was instructed not to take it until after his blood was drawn. That enabled them to get an accurate reading of the level in his blood. These were instructions from the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Md. where he has been in clinical trials since April, 2009 (Campath) for Hypocellular MDS. He is now the first guinea pig in a brand new clinical trial for his type of MDS for Promacta (Eltrombopag) in an attempt to increase his platelets and possibly his red cells.
God Bless,
Sally

Lisa V Wed Apr 13, 2011 01:00 PM

The one time Ken forgot not to take it and got a peak reading, his CsA was 728 (as opposed to a trough of 130 a couple of weeks later). That was not immediately following ATG, however. He had already become tx-independant and his dosage had been tweaked down to a much lower maintenance level (200 mg/day) by then than what they'd started him on.

1870 does sound kind of high, but what is Eric's trough level? They seem to like to keep it as high as the patient can tolerate until they see a response. Even after we'd figured out what Ken's "safe for kidneys" dosage was, they raised it again (to 300) for a few months when they did his second ATG. Even though his creatinine was a bit high (1.4) during that time, they only lowered it when he started getting readings of 1.6 and 1.7. By that time he'd already responded to the second round.

edithr Wed Apr 13, 2011 03:32 PM

Eric's only finished ATG 2 weeks ago today, so the Cyclosporine dosage is being tinkered with. He started at 350 twice a day, he's down to 225 twice a day. From what I understand, trough is when they take blood 12 hours after your dose and just before you take your next one? If thats the case, we're doing that Thursday morning. Hopefully it'll be good.

triumphe64 Wed Apr 13, 2011 05:30 PM

My first doctor did not know enough to tell me not to take it before the blood draw.

It took an interested coworker to discover this on the internet.

edithr Fri Apr 15, 2011 02:38 PM

The trough level was 225. Does this sound good?