Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   MDS (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Small Defeats (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=2691)

annmonster Mon Feb 6, 2012 03:09 PM

Small Defeats

Hi All

Saw Hemo today ..... starting 5th cycle of Vidaza this week ..... he says Vidaza has NOT been a 'smashing success' and that I need to go to a 'higher community' which can help.... in this case , I will be going to City of Hope in about 4 weeks to see if they have any 'brilliant' ideas.... Dr. keeps mentioning Bone Marrow Transplant ... ( I'm 60 years old and in good health other than MDS/CMML ). BMT sounds SO daunting....anybody out there gone thru it ? Or did you choose a chemo approach instead ??? So discouraging......
Thanks for any thoughts.....

Ann

Neil Cuadra Mon Feb 6, 2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by annmonster (Post 22124)
Hi All

Saw Hemo today ..... starting 5th cycle of Vidaza this week ..... he says Vidaza has NOT been a 'smashing success' and that I need to go to a 'higher community' which can help.... in this case , I will be going to City of Hope in about 4 weeks to see if they have any 'brilliant' ideas.... Dr. keeps mentioning Bone Marrow Transplant ... ( I'm 60 years old and in good health other than MDS/CMML ). BMT sounds SO daunting....anybody out there gone thru it ? Or did you choose a chemo approach instead ??? So discouraging......
Thanks for any thoughts.....

Ann

Ann,

I'm sorry you didn't get the smashing success you deserve. I hope you see better results in the next few weeks. It's hard to decide when to conclude that Vidaza isn't working well enough to continue.

The good news is that the hematologists at City of Hope are excellent and they will be able to give you recommendations for what to do. Your overall good health gives you more options, including the possibility of a "mini-transplant" without all the heavy chemo and radiation, if a matched donor is identified. You don't have to rule any choices in or out for now.

Are you still going to need the surgery you asked about last month?

annmonster Mon Feb 6, 2012 11:27 PM

Hi Neil ...

No shoulder surgery for now ( Dr. over-reacted .... : ) ).... we shall see how physical therapy goes first .....

Thanks , as always for your encouragement.... it's good to chat with 'big picture' people.......it always helps reduce the fear factor ..

mausmish Tue Feb 7, 2012 11:22 PM

Hi Ann,

Sorry the Vidaza isn't working so well! I'm currently 58, had my BMT at age 57, and have done great. I'm so glad I had it done. I do understand how daunting the prospect is - I was very afraid - but it was not nearly as bad as I anticipated. Overall good health is a big factor in your favor. I documented my transplant and beyond in my blog, MausMarrow. Best of luck at City of Hope. I've heard nothing but good things about the facility.

Karen

annmonster Wed Feb 8, 2012 02:45 PM

Thanks, Karen....

I will most definitely check out your blog.... glad that you're doing so well as a result of your BMT .... that in and of itself is a huge encouragement to me : )

Take care.... !!

Ann