Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   Drugs and Drug Treatments (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   2nd round of dacogen (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=888)

anne&dean Fri Dec 19, 2008 04:18 PM

2nd round of dacogen

My husband just finished his second round of dacogen today. Since I last posted they have put in a port. He was suppose to have the dacogen on week off 3, but his blood counts were too low so we had to wait another week.
Things have been so much better for him this go around.
The port is a life saver, plus getting early morning appointments has made a big difference. We have been in and out by no later than 10am. This stops it from being so tireing on both of us. On this round of treatment my husband has felt pretty good, Thursday was not a good day, but today, he said he didn't feel as weak as he did yesterday after treatment. We go back to Dr. on Monday and get his blood checked and are schedule for a transfussion if needed. Then we head home for the holidays, (about 4 hours driving). The good news to us was this Monday, as we have been fighting very low counts.
His plateletts went from 22 to 46, his hemoglin went from 7.4 to 9.0, his red blood cells went from 2.42 to 2.96, and his white blood cells went from .9 to 1.9. To alot this may not seem like much but his counts have been so low since 10-31-08, it was a blessing to us. These counts are the highest he has had.

I want to take this time to wish everyone a very safe and happy Holiday. God Bless.

anne

Neil Cuadra Fri Dec 19, 2008 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anne&dean (Post 8989)
The port is a life saver, plus getting early morning appointments has made a big difference. We have been in and out by no later than 10am. This stops it from being so tireing on both of us.

Anne,

Isn't it funny how a little trick like that can make such a difference? We learned by experience which days of the week were better or worse for appointments, in addition to the best times of day. When you have limited energy, avoiding the waiting and getting home faster can really help.

I hope your husband's counts stay OK so you can have a peaceful holiday.

Mike Conlon Sat Mar 7, 2009 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anne&dean (Post 8989)
My husband just finished his second round of dacogen today. Since I last posted they have put in a port. He was suppose to have the dacogen on week off 3, but his blood counts were too low so we had to wait another week.
Things have been so much better for him this go around.
The port is a life saver, plus getting early morning appointments has made a big difference. We have been in and out by no later than 10am. This stops it from being so tireing on both of us. On this round of treatment my husband has felt pretty good, Thursday was not a good day, but today, he said he didn't feel as weak as he did yesterday after treatment. We go back to Dr. on Monday and get his blood checked and are schedule for a transfussion if needed. Then we head home for the holidays, (about 4 hours driving). The good news to us was this Monday, as we have been fighting very low counts.
His plateletts went from 22 to 46, his hemoglin went from 7.4 to 9.0, his red blood cells went from 2.42 to 2.96, and his white blood cells went from .9 to 1.9. To alot this may not seem like much but his counts have been so low since 10-31-08, it was a blessing to us. These counts are the highest he has had.

I want to take this time to wish everyone a very safe and happy Holiday. God Bless.

anne

I started Dacogen in May, 2007. After my 14th cycle I was declared in total remission in Feb 2009. In my case the blood counts slowly rose over a 8-10 month period and then stablilized till now. Then after about 10 months or so of treatment the blasts stabilized at about 2% and then the remission was announced the day my 15th cycle began. This May is the third anniversary of the approval of Dacogen in U.S., therefore there is not a long history of results. I am currently on an eight week cycle. Future unknown but promising. Still praying and looking forward to our 50th anniversary in 2011.