Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   MDS (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   4 Years+ with MDS under control (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=610)

knstone Wed Jun 4, 2008 09:51 PM

4 Years+ with MDS under control

Hi fellow MDS patients,
My 11th BMB since diagnosis in Feb 04 continues to show no dysplastic cells in any blood line. I was at 16% blasts in April 04. I started Thalidomide and it controlled the MDS for 2.5 years. I have no chromosome abnormalities. I'm a good responder to Procrit and Neupogen.

Revlimid was started in Dec 2006 at 10 MG/day. It has controlled my MDS for 18 months. My platelets have slowly dropped and are now in the 78-85 range. The doctor is having me pause Revlimid until the platelets rise above 90. It will be restarted at 5 mg/day. My Hgb ranges from 12.9 to 14, WBC ranges from 2.5 to 3.8. My case shows that Revlimid can work with patients that are not -5q.

When I started treatments there were no drugs specifically for MDS, now we have at least 3.

All of us with MDS respond differently. A positive attitude and finding a knowledgeable doctor with which you are comfortable can help in battling MDS. I find the more I learn about MDS the more "empowered" I feel in dealing with the disease. I'm fortunate to be a good responder to all the medications used thus far.

Keep a positive attitude as you fight MDS.

Ruth Cuadra Thu Jun 5, 2008 04:50 PM

Hi, Kirby.

It's always good to hear from you and I'm glad to know things are still going well for you with Revlimid. Wouldn't if be great if researchers could study why you are such a good responder and clone that "talent" for other patients?

Regards,
Ruth

flowerlady Sun Jun 8, 2008 04:57 PM

Hi Kirby!

Once more you are an inspiration to those of us who started this journey with so much fear...I am approaching 1 year on Revlimid and have had my dose reduced from the 10mg to the 5mg and can happily say that the sun is shining brightly here! Still alot of uncertainty as far as how long the sun will continue to shine but, till then....I'm keeping my shades on! How are your hostas?

With much appreciation for you being you!

triumphe64 Sun Jun 8, 2008 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruth Cuadra (Post 7651)
Hi, Kirby.

It's always good to hear from you and I'm glad to know things are still going well for you with Revlimid. Wouldn't if be great if researchers could study why you are such a good responder and clone that "talent" for other patients?

Regards,
Ruth

This study is still looking for volunteers.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/N...sia%22&rank=13

LeslieAnn Mon Jul 28, 2008 01:00 PM

Response to "4 Years + . . ."

Kirby:
I was so relieved to read your message because your profile is somewhat similar to mine. I was diagnosed with MDS - RAEB-II exactly one year ago. My doctor recently discontinued my treatment of six months - a trial that combined Vidaza with an experimental drug. There was no apparent impact one way or the other. So I just last week started Revlimid. I was rather skeptical when the doctor first proposed it becuase the literature associates the drug with 5q deletion patients. Like you, I am not 5q. (I am 20q and 13q). I realize that everyone is different. But it is good to know that Revilimid has shown promising impacts on non-5q patients.

Also, thanks for reminding me how important it is to maintain a positive attitude. It was quite a shock to receive my diagnosis at 52 years of age and at a stage in my life when I was feeling my best ever.

All the best.
Leslie

knstone Tue Jul 29, 2008 05:18 PM

Revlimid for non -5q

Hi Leslie,

Hope Revlimid works for you.
This link should go to an article on Revlimid response for Non -5q patients:

http://bloodjournal.hematologylibrary.org/cgi/content/
full/111/1/86?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=lenalidomide&searchid=
1&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&resour[/url]
cetype=HWCIT

Are your blood counts at reasonable values?

knstone Tue Jul 29, 2008 05:21 PM

Sorry link didn't work

Hi Leslie,

The link didn't seem to work on last email, try this one.

http://bloodjournal.hematologylibrar...urcetype=HWCIT

If this doesn't work try copying and pasting into your browser.

LeslieAnn Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:13 AM

Thanks for the article

Kirby:
Thanks for the article. The second link worked.
As for my blood counts, it depends on what is considered "reasonable." I am fairly active (work full time, dance 2 -3x/wk, take Pilates, etc.) and feel fine doing all of that until my hemoglobin drops to somewhere around 7.5. By the time it gets to 7.1 or so, I get a transfusion. It typically goes up to around 9.7 after a transfusion. On average, I need a transfusion once/month. My WBC fluctuates between 1.5 and 1.1. My platelets fluctuate between 315 and 130.
Thanks again for the article.
All the best.
Leslie

DeborahZPeterson Thu Jan 31, 2013 04:03 PM

New MDS Diagnosis

Hi Kirby. I found your name on the MDS Foundation website. My sister, Marilyn, was just diagnosed with MDS yesterday. She is a member of Jehovah's Witnesses. I wanted to see if you could contact her via email or telephone for information and encouragement. I tried to send you an email or a private message but I didn't have permission to do so.

If you would be willing to contact my sister, I'd be happy to provide her email address or telephone number.

Sending Christian love,
Deborah Peterson

knstone Sun Feb 3, 2013 08:15 AM

Hi Deborah

Please contact me.

Nancy and I would love to talk with you or your sister.

With love,
Kirby Stone

Neil Cuadra Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:37 PM

Kirby Stone passed away last night after a long battle with MDS.

Kirby was a personal friend and an inspiration to many patients and caregivers in the community of those battling bone marrow failure diseases. We offer our condolences to his wife Nancy and the rest of his family. This is a loss we all feel.

Please see Kirby's Legacy in his Marrowforums Personal Profile.

Birgitta-A Wed Feb 20, 2013 01:38 PM

Kirby

How very sad! I admired him.
Warm regards
Birgitta-A

Al's Wife Wed Feb 20, 2013 06:06 PM

Kirby will certainly be missed. But what a great
legacy he leaves behind. Thoughts and prayers
go out to his wife Nancy.

Sally C Thu Feb 21, 2013 08:00 AM

My deepest sympathy to Nancy and all those who loved Kirby. "Kirby's Legacy" is a great tribute to an obviously wonderful man who stood by his faith - and never gave up. His last post just days before he passed away showed what a kind man he was. May he rest in peace...
Sally

Lbrown Thu Feb 21, 2013 03:15 PM

Sorry to hear about Kirby.

Deb

bebop Thu Feb 21, 2013 09:56 PM

that is so sad! for Nancy I am so sorry for your loss. May God bring you peace and comfort during this rough time.

Mary Stone Fri Feb 22, 2013 02:10 PM

I registered in this forum today to remember my cousin - Kirby Lee Stone of Cincinnati, OH. As you all know, he has passed away. The fact that he struggled with and maintained his composure and dignity with this disease was admirable. Never in my life (not just saying this bcuz he is my cousin) have I ever met a more honorable, decent human being than my cousin Kirby. I want to thank all of you for any support you have given him throughout the years and also, if he helped you (or a loved one with this disease) in the process - then you KNOW what I mean when I say what a kind, sweet, considerate and thoughtful person he was. He will truly be missed.
Thx everybody for the kind words.

cathybee1 Thu Mar 14, 2013 06:53 PM

Logged in today after a long absence from the forums to find this sad news. Kirby was so thoughtful, he checked in via e-mail just to see how Bruce was doing. A class act, and an inspiration. I know his family is missing him terribly.