Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Pancytopenia and Leg Cramps? (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=2830)

David M Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:42 PM

Pancytopenia and Leg Cramps?

Hello all,

I have had pancytopenia for 10+ years now... my counts are not down to the point of requiring any treatment yet -- just doing the "watch and wait" thing. At last blood letting, my counts were: RBC: 2.85; WBC: 2.35; PLT: 34; HGB: 10.0; and I don't remember the rest at the moment... (I don't have the counts with me.)

I have been exercising some pretty intensly and occasionally working outside pretty intensly doing yard-work. Although my HGB is "below normal" range, I have been trying to get in decent shape and improve my endurance and strength... while I feel like it!

My question/concern is this: I have recently been having leg cramps -- could these be related to pancytopenia issues? Typically these cramps hit me sometime in the mid-to-early morning hours (i.e. 12:30 - 4:30AM)... and they seem to be occurring more frequently. I just had a blood check and my potassium level was fine (although it has reported slightly low in the past year)... and I do try to include potassium rich foods in my daily diet.

Have any of you had frequent problems with leg cramps? Is this something I should be especially concerned about, given that I have pancytopenia going on?

Thanks,
David M

Hopeful Mon Apr 16, 2012 02:38 PM

You may want to get your Magnesium levels checked as well. Low levels can also cause muscle cramps.

DanL Mon Apr 16, 2012 03:33 PM

I get leg cramps every time my potassium drops below 4.0. I need to be in teh 4.3 to 4.5 range to avoid them. Magnesium seems to help as well as hopeful noted. For me, it does seem to be centered around my level of activity, or within a couple of days after heavy activity, which seems to validate the potassium depletion theory.

Everybody has a different level of normal, so if you are toward the lower end of magnesium or potassium, you might need to be a little higher.

Marlene Mon Apr 16, 2012 03:52 PM

Ditto to what others have said. Once you know your electrolytes are OK, you can try this little trick. Doesn't work for everyone but has done wonders for my husband. He too was getting nightly cramps especially after walking long distances.

So don't laugh at this suggestion: Get a bar of Ivory soap, cut off about 1/3 of the bar and place it at the foot of your bed under the fitted sheet. The soap tends to crumble when cut so you may want to place it on a paper towel. This costs almost nothing and there is no risk to your health. Google Ivory soap and leg cramps. You'll be surprised at how many people employ this easy remedy.

But like I stated, make sure your cal, mag, pot and sodium are normal. An epsom salt foot bath at night can help also. Soak your feet in warm water with a about 1 - 2 cups of epsom salt. Epsom Salts are magnesium chloride and will relax the muscles.

cathybee1 Fri Apr 20, 2012 02:53 PM

Echoing the magnesium suggestions here. Bruce had leg cramps nightly. After taking Magnesium Glycinate, a more absorbable form of magnesium, he rarely has the problem any more. You do need to add magnesium gradually though, to avoid diarrhea problems.

Greg H Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:25 PM

Hi All!

I definitely have leg cramps, mostly after strenuous activity. My doc recommended 400 mg of magnesium twice a day, and that does seem to cut down on the frequency.

Both my magnesium and potassium, were in the normal range when last checked, though I don't recall exactly where in the normal range.

Take care!

Greg

tom30 Sat Apr 21, 2012 09:48 PM

I have noted that high dose of b-12 causes my potassium to drop to just below normal from right in the middle of normal range. I eat a lot of leafy green vegetables (about a pound a day) and my last potassium level was 4.5. I had noticed restless leg symptoms which i attributed to benadryl but i stopped taking the b-12 at the same time i stopped the benadryl. I'm trying to stay clear of supplements and get what I need from my diet but it not as easy for me as I thought it would be.

David M Tue Apr 24, 2012 01:45 PM

Ivory Soap!

Maybe it is a coincidence of timing, and maybe not... I tried Marlene's suggestion re: Ivory Soap (see her earlier message), and so far, so good! No more leg cramps! I have no idea if there is any scientific basis for this working -- but I like the results.

I did Google this, and there is quite a bit of info on it. Any way, it is easy to try.

Thanks again!

David M

Marlene Tue Apr 24, 2012 02:16 PM

Great!!!!!

You need to change it about every 30 days or if you find it's not working as well anymore change it out.

We've been doing this for quite a while now. At first we too thought it was a coincidence. But for some reason, this seems to help many.