Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   Transplants (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Moffitt or Mayo Jacksonville for transplant? (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=3533)

babs Wed Mar 20, 2013 08:54 AM

Moffitt or Mayo Jacksonville for transplant?

I have recently been referred for a transplant and live in S. Florida. Both Moffitt and Mayo Jacksonville are several hours away by car but are my best choices. Does anyone have personal experiences they would be willing to share - positive or negative? I really appreciate it as I need to decide SOON.

Thanks!

Neil Cuadra Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:23 PM

babs,

You can use the National Marrow Donor Program's transplant statistics to get an idea of their transplant statistics across all diseases:
H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute

Mayo Clinic Florida/Mayo Hospital

Cam Wed Mar 20, 2013 07:54 PM

I have personal experience with Mayo Jacksonville. My Dr. is Dr. Foran. I would recommend them for a transplant. I can not say it was easy but everyone on the third floor was a cheerleader that wanted me to get better. Everyone there is very nice and goes out of their way to make you get better and make it easier for you.

I will tell you this though make sure to pack some snacks to take with you because the food leaves a lot to be desired..

If you have any specific questions message me or ask here and I will answer...

Dick S Wed Mar 20, 2013 07:55 PM

For the sake of relatives and family, you're closer to Moffitt by about one hour each way. Of course I-95 is easier traveling for you and them.

babs Thu Mar 21, 2013 02:53 PM

Thanks for the responses. Since I will have to travel and stay in the area either way, I want to go to the treatment center that will give the best shot at a good outcome. That is my only goal.

Has anyone stayed at a transplant house (or something like that) at either facility? Or know what's available?

Cam, do you live in Jacksonville?

Thanks so much,
B

babs Thu Mar 21, 2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick S (Post 27714)
For the sake of relatives and family, you're closer to Moffitt by about one hour each way. Of course I-95 is easier traveling for you and them.

Dick,

I have family traveling from Mobile, AL so Jacksonville is a little closer for them. Basically a wash on the travel for the two.

Did you go to Moffitt or know anything about it?

Thanks,
B

Cam Thu Mar 21, 2013 08:02 PM

B,

I live in Yulee Florida which is a 30 minute drive from Mayo. If you have any question about the area just ask. If I do not know I will ask my wife she grew up in Jacksonville.

I can ot say enough about Mayo. It is a premeire hospital for a reason and has some top notch Doctors... And the staff is just as great...

Cam

babs Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam (Post 27743)
B,

I live in Yulee Florida which is a 30 minute drive from Mayo. If you have any question about the area just ask. If I do not know I will ask my wife she grew up in Jacksonville.

I can ot say enough about Mayo. It is a premeire hospital for a reason and has some top notch Doctors... And the staff is just as great...

Cam

I'm awfully jealous of people who live so very close to world-class treatment centers!

Cam Fri Mar 22, 2013 08:55 PM

Babs,

Every step of the way has been a gift from God... The first Dr. that diagnosed me come to find out wrote the book on Bone Marrow disorders (he is now retired and works in Fernandina one day a week near me). I live near Mayo, and they found a non familial donor that was a 10/10 match and same blood type. And I was lucky enough to get Dr. Foran and the Mayo team to get me through this... Tell him Cam said hi...

Cam

babs Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam (Post 27757)
Babs,

Every step of the way has been a gift from God... The first Dr. that diagnosed me come to find out wrote the book on Bone Marrow disorders (he is now retired and works in Fernandina one day a week near me). I live near Mayo, and they found a non familial donor that was a 10/10 match and same blood type. And I was lucky enough to get Dr. Foran and the Mayo team to get me through this... Tell him Cam said hi...

Cam

Cam,

You are right to look at the blessings of the journey! Good for you! Will convey your message to Foran on Friday.

Best, B

Cam Sat Mar 30, 2013 05:45 PM

What did you think? What BMT nurse did you get?

Cam

Laura Mon Apr 1, 2013 12:54 AM

I am glad you found Mayo-J to be great. I had my BMT at Mayo-Rochester and I would never recommend anyone to ever get their transplant there. I would tell them to run fast and far away.

Cam Tue Apr 9, 2013 12:54 PM

I have had Jack and Virgina. They both take care of you. They have used Virginia to ambush me and talk me back in the hospital on both occasions... What kind of BMT are they talking about for you?

Cam