Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   AA (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   How long for a diagnosis (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=4477)

Data Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:04 AM

How long for a diagnosis

I am curious to know how long it usually takes to get a diagnosis (of any of the blood disorders). My blood levels have been decreasing since January of this year. I have been seeing a hematologist for almost two months now. I have had numerous blood tests (CBCs, tests for virus antibodies, etc.), a bone marrow biopsy (was negative for AML and MDS), a CT scan (radiologist suggested a MRI), and a MRI (radiologist suggested another bone marrow biopsy under CT guidance). I am scheduled for another bone marrow biopsy to be done under CT guidance. While blood counts aren’t critically, it is disconcerting to know that something is not right but not know what is wrong and not know what an appropriate treatment is. My only physical symptom is that I am extremely tired all the time. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. My current counts are:

Platelets: 47 x10E3/uL
Hemoglobin: 9.7 g/dL
MCH: 38.0 pg
EOS: 10 %
MCV: 115 fl
RDW: 18.1 %
RBC: 2.55 x10E6/uL
WBC: 2.3 x10E3/uL 3.4
Hematocrit: 29.4 %
Neutrophils: (Absolute) 1.1 x10E3/uL
MCHC 33.0: g/dL

sbk007 Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:24 AM

I can tell you that my father was suspected to have lymphoma but after 3 BMB's they couldn't get a diagnosis. Then they did the CT guided BMB and it still came back negative. It sounds like they are having trouble diagnosing you....Lack of energy is a symptom of anemia(Low Hemoglobin) and yours is low but not crazy low but still could be why you're so tired. On another note this is a depressing and anxious time and that too can make you tired. If you can do things do them. You'd be surprised how a walk around the block can make a difference.

Data Sun Sep 21, 2014 01:16 PM

I agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbk007 (Post 35262)
I can tell you that my father was suspected to have lymphoma but after 3 BMB's they couldn't get a diagnosis. Then they did the CT guided BMB and it still came back negative. It sounds like they are having trouble diagnosing you....Lack of energy is a symptom of anemia(Low Hemoglobin) and yours is low but not crazy low but still could be why you're so tired. On another note this is a depressing and anxious time and that too can make you tired. If you can do things do them. You'd be surprised how a walk around the block can make a difference.

I appreciate your comments and agree. I was hospitalized a few years ago for anemia and my hemoglobin was worse than now and I wasn't this tired. I do try and get out as much as I can.

Thanks again!!:)

Chirley Sun Sep 21, 2014 08:35 PM

Sorry but some people remain in limbo diagnosis wise for years.

triumphe64 Sun Sep 21, 2014 09:29 PM

Have they done a retic test?

Data Mon Sep 22, 2014 06:25 AM

OMG Reality check

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chirley (Post 35267)
Sorry but some people remain in limbo diagnosis wise for years.

Thanks for the reality check. I don't know if I can stand this that long!

Data Mon Sep 22, 2014 06:26 AM

No Retic test

Quote:

Originally Posted by triumphe64 (Post 35268)
Have they done a retic test?

They have not done the retic test. I have wondered several times why they never checked that.

triumphe64 Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Data (Post 35275)
They have not done the retic test. I have wondered several times why they never checked that.

Ask them.