Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   General Health Issues (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   night sweats and insonmnia (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=228)

Anne G Tue Jul 3, 2007 12:32 AM

night sweats and insonmnia

Hi, I am currently a newbie to the website(thank goodness it is here)! I have had RCMD for more than two years. Recently I am finding it rather difficult to sleep and difficult to deal with the night sweats. I am currently having Reiki and Reflexology as complementary therapies. Any Suggestions to overcome this it would be great. At the moment I am having roughly 4 1/2 to 5 hours broken sleep per night and the only the time I have block sleeping for more than 2 hours is when I am totally exhausted. I am a full time business manager, full time single mum(my son is 15yrs old) who lives with elderly mother. Of which I am her full time carer, albeit my mum does not actively need 24hr care as yet. I have also tried Herbal Kalms and the effect is not that great. Sleeping pills not the answer either, as I have an hour drive to work and back each day.

Anne G Wed Aug 1, 2007 07:11 PM

useful info

I have just been prescribed ranitadine for night and day sweats. will update the site and advise if this has been successful, as it may be of use to someone else

Anne g
;)

Ruth Cuadra Wed Aug 1, 2007 08:35 PM

Hi, Anne.

I'm very curious to know if the ranitadine (aka Zantac) helps with your sleep problems since it's primarily used to reduce stomach acid/hearburn. Do you suffer from those symptoms too? I've struggled with sleeping problems ever since my days on predisone. It seems like many of the drugs we take have insomnia as a side effect. Even after I was off most medications it seems that the insomnia never really went away. I've taken Ambien for a long time and it works well, but I'd love to get rid of it. If Zantac helps you, I'll talk to my doctor about trying it.

Regards,
Ruth

Andrea Pecor Wed Aug 1, 2007 08:48 PM

insomnia

Hi,

I have taken a tremendous amount of prednisone over the years (but not for 5 years) and still have a problem with insomnia. I occasionally take Simply Sleep (that's Tylenol PM without the Tylenol/acetamenophine) but don't like the way I feel the next day, even if I only take 1/2 of one pill (the recommended dosage is two pills). I don't know if it's the long-term side effects of the steroids and immunosuppressants or just simply stress and my predisposition to anxiety. Bottom line, one is not at one's best when sleep-deprived. I can relate!

best,
Andrea

Anne G Thu Aug 2, 2007 02:16 AM

hi Ruth

the ranitandine which the Hemo prescibed is only to reduce the night sweats which should alow me to sleep more easily.

regards

Anne

Anne G Thu Aug 2, 2007 02:29 AM

I am glad I am not alone. I have tried everything herbal and alternative therapies to help me sleep. However, I will ask GP for tylenol on next visit. Maybe the combination of the ranitandine for sweats and the tylenol for sleeping might just work. Thanks Andrea

regards

Anne

Andrea Pecor Thu Aug 2, 2007 09:33 PM

Hi Anne,

When you speak to your GP - you don't want the acetamenaphine part of the Tylenol PM, just the sleep part - I believe it is diphenhydramine - it is available over the counter and called Simply Sleep. There are also other over the counter sleep aids. You might want to discuss a prescription medication like Ambien. See what he thinks is best.

regards,
Andrea

usaf1125 Wed Dec 12, 2007 09:11 PM

I have had trouble with fever and night sweats, but they are tapering off. Nothing help to reduce them, they just seem to be going away on their own. Has for sleeping, I found 2 Martinis about 11:PM are great.:):)

Missyblue Fri Dec 26, 2008 01:27 PM

I know this is an old post but if any newbies read in I would like to add that Benedryl has been a life saver to help me sleep. When blood counts are low and regular benedryl leaves me with too much of a hangover I cross over to childrens benedryl. Works well for me and I hope it does for others that read this. Good Luck!