Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   Drugs and Drug Treatments (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Getting Horse ATG next week!! (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=2193)

Lori. K Mon Jun 13, 2011 08:45 PM

Getting Horse ATG next week!!

I Got the Ok from my doctor that I will be starting the Horse ATG next week!! I go in to the hospital Monday morning June 20th & will be there until Saturday the 25th, I will be getting the ATG for 5 or 6 days. and then i will be put on immune suppressent drug Cyclosporine! I hope & pray this will cure me. this will be the 2nd time I get the horse serum.. The first time I got it I was 13 and it worked right away, I didn't need a transfusion for 3 months!! but I was young and didnt take the medicine like i was suppose to and it stopped working.. I just hope I wont get serum sickness, that was the worst feeling in the world I ended up back in the hospital because of that.. when i was 16 I tried the rabbit ATG ! and thats when i got the serum sickness & that treatment didnt work !

Neil Cuadra Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:59 PM

Good luck, Lori. Since the doctors know the history of your previous ATG perhaps they also know how to steer you away from serum sickness this time, or know how to nip it in the bud if there are any symptoms.

squirrellypoo Tue Jun 14, 2011 07:01 AM

Best of luck, Lori! It's such a difference experience going through all this when you're older...

Keep us updated when you can!

Lori. K Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrellypoo (Post 18484)
Best of luck, Lori! It's such a difference experience going through all this when you're older...

Keep us updated when you can!

Are you saying the Atg will be difficult to go through as a adult ? It didn't bother me too much when I was a teenager going through it. Except for the time when I got serum sickness from the rabbit atg. I heard that one of the side effects of taking cyclosporine is that you feel run down and tired,. I'm hoping i can return to work the week after I get the atg!??? I work in a hospital, my immune system will probably be so low what if I get sick?

I can't afford to take too much time off work & once my EIB Runs out then I will be billed to keep my medical insurance! :(

squirrellypoo Thu Jun 16, 2011 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lori. K (Post 18522)
Are you saying the Atg will be difficult to go through as a adult ?

Oh I was just meaning that it was a whole world of difference for me going through all this as a child and then as an adult. Mostly in terms of being aware and informed about what's going on, but also having a whole network of people to rely on for advice and camraderie that just wasn't possible before...

The play dough's not as fun when you're 30 though. :p

cheri Thu Jun 16, 2011 08:21 AM

Good Luck Lori K

I hope all goes well for you! Fingers crossed and prayers on their way!

Lori. K Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:46 AM

Thank you!! :)
I'm keeping my fingers & toes crossed hoping this works.. Even if I have to get a transfusion every 3 to 5 months that would be great.. Or If I dont need them at all!! :D :) :D :cool: :p ;)