Marrowforums

Marrowforums (http://forums.marrowforums.org/index.php)
-   General Health Issues (http://forums.marrowforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Loss of taste and weight loss (http://forums.marrowforums.org/showthread.php?t=4226)

jmajjb Mon May 12, 2014 06:20 PM

Loss of taste and weight loss

Does anyone know if loss of taste is related to anemia? Also do you experience weight loss with anemia? I have not received a diagnosis yet but have Hgb 11, HCT 30.6, Rbcs 3.0 . Bone marrow biopsy revealed normocellular with ringed sideroblasts. Any ideas?

Whizbang Mon May 12, 2014 08:02 PM

jmajjb,

I know I lost some weight when my blood counts were low, I don't know if it was lack of appetite, or the fact that my blood couldn't transport enough nutrition.... But I did lose about 5 lbs... Once my counts got better (after chemo - Dacogen) I was able to and did gain back the weight and then some... I did so for my impending BMT...

I never had a problem with taste until I had my BMT chemo...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmajjb (Post 33794)
Does anyone know if loss of taste is related to anemia? Also do you experience weight loss with anemia? I have not received a diagnosis yet but have Hgb 11, HCT 30.6, Rbcs 3.0 . Bone marrow biopsy revealed normocellular with ringed sideroblasts. Any ideas?

Marlene Tue May 13, 2014 10:10 AM

Possible B12 or zinc issue

I saw in your other post that your copper was low. It is possible that you have other nutritional imbalances. Zinc, copper and iron need to be in balance. And your B12 needs to be above 500. B12 and zinc play a role in sense of taste and smell.

jmajjb Tue May 13, 2014 01:12 PM

My B12 was 400. They said it was normal! Should I be supplementing?

Marlene Tue May 13, 2014 03:29 PM

The short answer IMO is yes. I couldn't find the study but by increasing B12 of some MDS patients with low normal B12 blood serums values, they recovered normal counts. Blood serum testing of B12 is the least accurate way of confirming a deficiency.

I really feel you need to optimize your nutrition. Whether or not it reverses the disease process, you need proper nutrition to heal and withstand treatments.

Key blood nutrients are iron, B12, folate, B6, copper, zinc, D and K2. If they haven't been checked, ask for the tests. If you are supplementing now, you won't get a true baseline. It's always good to stop any supplements at 4 days prior to blood draws.

If you search this forum for B12, there's a lot of threads addressing it.

Using the most bio available forms B12, folate and B6 should be considered in the off chance you have some genetic mutation affecting the ability of your body to fully utilize them.

There is another member on this site dealing with serious copper issues. Search on Chirley to read more about her journey.

traceyn11 Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:11 PM

Healthy Alternative to Ensure/boost supplement?

I am still in the hospital and they want me to drink 3 boosts supplements a day because I have lost weight. This is in addition to the food I am getting on a low residue diet. I agreed and drank one, but then I saw the ingredients and really don't want to put that stuff in my body.

Does anyone know of healthy version that would be low residue?

Thanks,
Tracey

Paylor Wed Mar 22, 2017 03:12 PM

My husband started taking omeprazole and his appetite and stomach trouble seems to be better.

Have seen the doctor yet but it's over the counter acid reflux medication.

Tamsher Sun Jan 28, 2018 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paylor (Post 42474)
My husband started taking Trenorol and his appetite and stomach trouble seems to be better.

Have seen the doctor yet but it's over the counter acid reflux medication.

I'm having trouble understanding, has he seen the doctor or not? Because he should, even if it's an over the counter drug imo.