View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 19, 2009, 09:31 PM

Hi Dick,

In your initial post in this thread you indicated that your neutrophils were 0.65 K/ul - K is 1000, which times 0.65 is 650 neutrophils per microliter. That would be your absolute neutrophil count (ANC). Different labs report somewhat differently - my CBC shows the WBC, % neutrophils, and the absolute neutrophils. Apparently your CBC didn't include the word "absolute". Many labs, like mine do not break out the bands and segs, but rather just provide the % neutrophils. You can calculate your ANC by multiplying the % neutrophils, in decimal form, times the WBC count. In your case the % neutrophils equals the sum of the bands and segs, 19% or .19 times your WBC count of 2900 (also times 1000). This yields a lower number than 650, but in the same ballpark, ie 550. My lab report also shows a difference in the calculated ANC from that listed for some reason. Fortunately you don't have to calculate your ANC - apparently it's given on your CBC report.

See this link:

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/...ticlekey=20030

Hope this helps.