View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 02:49 AM

Very interesting

It's curious to me that we seem to all have had slightly different protocols.

In my case, I had already been on prednisone for several weeks (the doc was not sure whether I had myelofibrosis or AA, so he started me on prednisone for 6 weeks, then did another BMB, and then decided I had AA).

When I was admitted, I had five days of ATG AND Cyclosporine, both via IV (I remember the 2 big bottles that took all day to empty each day). I still have the little labels from the ATG bottles that said "DO NOT AGITATE" -- I felt like putting them on my office door! After the 5 days, they started the Neupogen shots, and before I was discharged, they taught me how to give myself the shots, which continued for 2-3 months.

My doc also told me that my prognosis was good based on my neutrophil count. I was in the hospital for 26 days; at discharge, I did not need platelet transfusions, and I got 2 more PRBC transfusions after that before I was independent until my relapse 6 months later, most likely due to a too-fast CsA taper.

I hope your wife has a great response!
Male, 56, dx Nov2006 VSAA (BMA:0%). Responded to ATG/CsA/Prednisone/Neupogen Dec 2006, but relapsed in June 2007. Counts are responding to using CsA 200mg bid alone since Jun 2008. Last PRBC tx: Jul 2008.