Thread: aa or mds?
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 08:03 AM

How funny, your MDS even sounds like mine - I had so few cells in my marrow that it was difficult for them to further categorise me so I was just left with AA and "hypoplastic MDS" as my diagnosis. I see both Professors equally in my clinic appointments, it seems to be just a matter of who's available.

And it's even funnier how local you were to me!! I live on a boat down by Tower Bridge, just near the Design Museum, so Bermondsey Street is very close. Small world!

My brother wasn't a good match for me, so I had an Matched Unrelated Donor (MUD), who turned out to be a 28 year old man from America, so now I've got his blood type, too! The good news about having such patheticly low counts and empty marrow is that it didn't take very much chemo (and zero radiation) to kill off what I did have, so I had what's called a "mini transplant", or Reduced Intensity Conditioning (RIC). I credit that (and being young and having less than a year of treatment leading up to the transplant) with having such an easy ride thus far. I came home yesterday, exactly 3 weeks since I was admitted, but there's more on that in the Transplant subforum if you're curious.
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)