Thread: AA outcome
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 11:52 PM

Hi JEZ,

I read your post on the bleeding gums thread, and thought it would be better to respond on this thread re the CsA and kidney function.

My creatinine when measured by the hematology lab stays around .9 or 1.0, and my GFR has been 89. So far so good.

Were your levels as good as mine earlier when you started to take the CsA? Or were they borderline before they crossed into the danger zone?

Hopeful's experience and yours makes me wonder what happens to kidney transplant patients who are on CsA for good (as I understand it) but whose kidneys then begin to be threatened by the CsA? Perhaps they can be helped by Immuran, as you are. I will have to ask my hematologist about it. Maybe shoot off an email to Dr Paquette, too.

Makes me also wonder if I shouldn't try lowering CsA my dosage (with the doctor's approval, of course), just as a precaution against overloading the kidneys.
Male, 56, dx Nov2006 VSAA (BMA:0%). Responded to ATG/CsA/Prednisone/Neupogen Dec 2006, but relapsed in June 2007. Counts are responding to using CsA 200mg bid alone since Jun 2008. Last PRBC tx: Jul 2008.