View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 3, 2009, 11:45 PM

Smile Blood count variability

Blood counts depend a lot on who's reading them and what part of the slide they are looking at. You should probably accept the idea of plus or minus 10% on any lab results. That applies to BMB's also.

I'm almost 70, diagnosed 8 1/2 yrs ago with RAEB-1 which became RAEB-2 fairly quickly. I decided not to undergo SCT because of age and lack of physical conditioning. I was given 2-2 1/2 years and I'm still going strong. The life expectation numbers date from 1999, before the introdution of the new wonder drugs. Expectations are much better now.

I've had about 120 units of PRBCs and continue to need TX's about monthly. I take Exjade to cleanse my system of the iron and have been able to keep iron levels low, serum ferritin below 1000.

I'm on revlimid & vidaza and my excess blasts have dropped from 11% last August to under 4% now.

Glad your mom is getting the best care. Don't count her out for a long time !
Steve Kessler,Age 71, Dx 3/2001, Currently AML converted from MDS, 5q-, 11q23, Negative response to Aranesp, Revlimid. Partial response to Vidaza in the past. On a study using ON1910.NA, counts too low to go to Stanford on schedule.