View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 12, 2009, 10:44 PM

Hemoglobins crashing

Hello everyone, it has been sometime since I have posted but I have been reading and checking out the forums on a regular basis.

I have not received any tx since July 17 2008 and after starting the Valproic Acid treatments. It has been a good time, my counts were normal and I was able to lead a normal life, it was almost like I had never had the MDS in the first place. My hemoglobin by Jan 09 was climbing too high, so we stopped the VPA. While on the VPA I went weekly for CBC's. They continued to watch my counts each week after stopping treatment, it took a while but within a couple of months my HGL were stable in the 130's, never going below 133. My whites and platelets have continued to be normal.

It was decided that I didn't need to have weekly CBC's and I started going once a month with no changes. Aug 5 my hemoglobin was 135 but then I started to feel a bit poor, but I figured it was my seasonal allergies that were making me tired.
On Sept 9th I went for my CBC's and the nurse noticed that I wasn't as pink as I have been and I told her that I knew that and I was fearful of the results would be.
Plus I had experienced those fevers and chills for the last two weeks ...........

My HGL have crashed, 102 was shocking after so long of being good and the MDS under control. What concerned me the most was how fast they dropped.
I am so thankful that I have Dr. Wells from Sunnybrook as my doctor. Within 2 hrs of him receiving my results, his office called me with an appointment for Friday. I was really hoping that it was a lab error, but the CBCs taken on Friday showed the same counts. He is quite concerned about how fast the decline is and how far in such a short period of time and I have appointment next week for another BMB. I have also started taking the VPA again in hopes that I will respond to it and at the very least at this point it will slow down the crash or stop it.

After we get the results of the BMB, we'll figure out what the best game plan is.
One interesting fact is when my hemoglobins are low, my Platelets go high, and the whites are normal.

Take care,
Lynn